Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perhaps a new Tesla owner from Colorado!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

We are in the market for an electric vehicle and I seriously would like a Tesla!

My wife's biggest issue is the screen on the side of the steering wheel. We are test driving this weekend a Model 3LR so we will hopefully be able to get a "feel" for it. I have driven a Tesla Model Y previously and absolutely was amazed!

How long has it taken you all to get used to the "one screen" as opposed to buttons and dials like an internal combustion car?

Glad to be here!

I got used to no screen behind the wheel pretty quickly. I also got used to no physical buttons pretty quickly.

That doesn't mean I think touch screen is better - I just got used to it ;)

I've owned my Model Y for about a year and a half, 38K miles. I'd buy another one if something happened to this one.

Thanks! It seems like every video I have seen people get used to it quickly. Fortunately for us we have a Tesla location about 15 min away so if, hopefully when, we get the Model 3....if there are an issues they can take care of it instead of having to drive for hours like some folks have to.

Just moved to Colorado and will be driving our Model Y out next week after I close on our house. But we bought our model Y about 1.5 yrs ago with never having driven a Tesla, just a fan of the tech, etc. It took me all of 10 mins to not have it feel bizarre that there wasn't a display right in front of me. Ahead of the purchase I actually bought this android tablet hack thing from China that mounts behind the steering wheel thinking I was going to miss the display (+ it had CarPlay), but it ended up being a waste of money because I never installed it and don't miss the behind the wheel display.

Great to know @hezla! You will love Colorado Springs! AND there is a Tesla center right there in Motor City!

It's inside a parking garage and a little awkward. But it's good to have at least something in the area.

Hi Everyone!

We are in the market for an electric vehicle and I seriously would like a Tesla!

My wife's biggest issue is the screen on the side of the steering wheel. We are test driving this weekend a Model 3LR so we will hopefully be able to get a "feel" for it. I have driven a Tesla Model Y previously and absolutely was amazed!

How long has it taken you all to get used to the "one screen" as opposed to buttons and dials like an internal combustion car?

Glad to be here!
not gonna lie, it was love at first sight for me. Now that I think about it, that must have made it easy to get use to...

Good luck with your search;)

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Hi Everyone!

Glad to be here!
Mike, welcome to the chatter ;) I had the same question/hesitancy until I finally took delivery and started driving. I soon realized that I hardly ever use any of the menus on the screen while driving except the climate controls. I can change most of that with voice commands but have to use the screen to adjust the airflow. Once I put the radio station and a couple other icons down on the dock (the bar along the bottom), I could hit them easily. I use voice commands for navigation, temperature and others. Most used features are on the scroll wheels and stalks. It all settled in pretty quickly as many have said. Cheers and enjoy the drive.

Well we ordered! Now we play the waiting game!
Hey Mike, Glad to hear you ordered. I know that was back in October so you may be coming due for delivery. I went through 12 date changes before delivery finally happened on the very last day of the original date quoted. I checked the app about every 3 days then dropped back to weekly but that was the only communication I received about changes to dates. All was forgiven once the car arrived. Cheers.