Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom battery discharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked my Tesla X for 4 days in airport parking garage in mild climate. My Sentry mode was off and I didn’t access the car remotely. In 4 days ( exactly 96 hours) the battery drained 60 miles (12 miles per day.). I found this quite alarming. Is this normal? This drain severely limits the ability to park the car for any extended period like an airport for example.

...normal...

Yes. If you read the manual, Tesla is designed to be plugged in while idling.

You can minimize the vampire loss by checking your settings:

1. Sentry Mode-Off
2. Summon Standby Mode-Off
3. Energy Saving - On
4. Disable Mobile Access
5. Disable Data Upload (to Tesla)- click "do not agree"
6. Climate Preconditioning - Off
7. Cabin Overheat Protection - Off
8. Make sure HVAC off when you leave-Disable "Keep Climate On".
9. Do not use or connect to any third party data-logging apps.

Last edited:
Yes. If you read the manual, Tesla is designed to be plugged in while idling.

You can minimize the vampire loss by checking your settings:

1. Sentry Mode-Off
2. Summon Standby Mode-Off
3. Energy Saving - On
4. Disable Mobile Access
5. Diable Data Upload (to Tesla)- click "do not agree"
6. Climate Preconditioning - Off
7. Cabin Overheat Protection - Off
8. Make sure HVAC off when you leave-Disable "Keep Climate On".
9. Do not use or connect to any third party data-logging apps.

I parked my Tesla X for 4 days in airport parking garage in mild climate. My Sentry mode was off and I didn’t access the car remotely. In 4 days ( exactly 96 hours) the battery drained 60 miles (12 miles per day.). I found this quite alarming. Is this normal? This drain severely limits the ability to park the car for any extended period like an airport for example.
Was the air conditioning coming on occasionally to prevent overheat interior? Doesn't seem likely considering the weather in your area lately, but possible during people sun times on a warm day.

Thank you. In fact all systems switched off. Temperature inside parking structure was steady at around 58 degrees. No A/C coming on for overheating cabin. Previous response indicates that this vampire loss is “normal.”
wow, normal? I've never experienced that much loss over the same period of time when the car is sitting without use. At most, I experience 1 mile per day loss (on a 100 kWh pack).

Sorry if I missed a previous response from someone saying it is normal. My ignore list is substantial from some people with rude replies. :)

Thank you. In fact all systems switched off. Temperature inside parking structure was steady at around 58 degrees. No A/C coming on for overheating cabin. Previous response indicates that this vampire loss is “normal.”

I don't know what 12 miles per day is, but if that is 3 kWh per day, yes, that's excessive. My X loses 1 kWh per day under normal conditions with no special power saving modes enabled.

I've heard of this before and the problem is usually something that keeps the car from going into deep sleep. Not sure what those things are though. If the car has been undisturbed for a couple of hours, does it take a while to respond to the phone app? If the app responds in just a few seconds the car is not in deep sleep like it should be.

Someone just posted on reddit that they lost only 1 mile of range over a 10 day period of time. The car is a Raven Model X, so maybe it has some efficiencies, but seems hard to believe.

Incredibly low range loss while away! : teslamotors