Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom drain while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
There is this thing that is bothering me and it just doesn't add up. I have an 100D. I charged it to 79% last night. Which is 79kWh. As you can see I drove during the day and used 26.7 kWh. And the remaining battery is 41% which means 41 kWh (I have a 100D)
I should have remaining -- the 79 which I started -/- 26.7 equals 52.3 so 52% so where did the other 11 go? I see this every day, one day more than the other day. Any explanation...???

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought I remember reading a post about this a little while ago. I thought that screen shows you how much the car consumed from driving alone. It doesn't factor in AC, etc. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I seem to recall which may account for your drain?

None of the numbers in the first post are absolute numbers. First, a 100 kWh battery doesn't have exactly 100kWh, it has less usable kWh, since Tesla holds back a small reserve at the bottom you don't get to use. Also, the SOC% remaining is just an estimate based on pack voltage (as is "Rated Range" in miles). So "41%" does not mean you have 41kWh in the battery, since both the 41% and the value you're using for 100% (100kWh) are both not real numbers.

Finally, the kWh used may not take into account all drains on the battery pack.

Here's a thread that has some more detail: (P)100D Battery capacity question