TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Phantom drain while driving

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Dutchie, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

#1 Dutchie, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    There is this thing that is bothering me and it just doesn't add up. I have an 100D. I charged it to 79% last night. Which is 79kWh. As you can see I drove during the day and used 26.7 kWh. And the remaining battery is 41% which means 41 kWh (I have a 100D)
    I should have remaining -- the 79 which I started -/- 26.7 equals 52.3 so 52% so where did the other 11 go? I see this every day, one day more than the other day. Any explanation...???

image.jpeg

2. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

I thought I remember reading a post about this a little while ago. I thought that screen shows you how much the car consumed from driving alone. It doesn't factor in AC, etc. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I seem to recall which may account for your drain?

3. MasterT

MasterT Member

AC is factored in as lond as the car is in D gear

• Informative x 1
  4. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Thanks for your reply. So still a mistery.....

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

None of the numbers in the first post are absolute numbers. First, a 100 kWh battery doesn't have exactly 100kWh, it has less usable kWh, since Tesla holds back a small reserve at the bottom you don't get to use. Also, the SOC% remaining is just an estimate based on pack voltage (as is "Rated Range" in miles). So "41%" does not mean you have 41kWh in the battery, since both the 41% and the value you're using for 100% (100kWh) are both not real numbers.

Finally, the kWh used may not take into account all drains on the battery pack.

Here's a thread that has some more detail: (P)100D Battery capacity question

6. animorph

animorph Active Member

• Funny x 1