Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Philadelphia, PA to Niagara On The Lake Charging Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our family is taking a long weekend (Friday to Sunday) from Phila to Niagara On The Lake to a house that only has 120V outlet (which I should get a few miles overnight). I see there will be no problem going there and coming home, but this leaves little charge for day-tripping. I see that there may be a few Level II charges at the Falls and maybe one in a parking lot at Niagara On The Lake. Does anyone have an idea how to manage getting a decent range for some local sight seeing and then have enough to get back to the nearest supercharger for the trip home?

DC6F0669-0A63-4B15-B4BA-D88B5FB67E65.jpeg
On my recent trip from Iowa to Boston, I used the Grimsby SC on the way to Niagara Falls. We spent the night on the US side and did sightseeing in our MR 3 before hitting the Buffalo SC, swinging by Gigafactory 2, and then heading east on I90 towards Boston. Easy peasy :cool:

D2776EFB-F1A6-4E31-AA5A-3643C883E14B.jpeg
If the house has multiple 120v outlets in the garage, you might be able to find two that are on different sides of the transformer. If you’re handy, you can build an adapter to use the two outlets to get 240v at 12A.
You’ll need some parts and wire and a voltage tester or multimeter. Instructions are available in other posts on TMC.

We have been to NOTL many times. As suggested above go to www.plugshare.com and find out which wineries & restaurants, conservation areas etc have either Tesla destination charging and/or J1772s. Neat to see in the spring is Balls Falls Conservation Area where they have two J1172s that are good for >60a if your car can take that much. NOTL has a public charger in the parking lot behind the court house. Plus is no $$. Minuses are: a)it often occupied at peak times b) it is only 208v and 30a. Wines are personal taste but I suggest the following wineries that have chargers: Reif, Creekside, Hidden Bench for the reasonable price ranges, Kacaba (10% discount if you buy a case but some bottles are in the "Stratus" price range) & Redstone (also meals) for the moderate price ranges and Stratus if you are interested in >$40 bottles of wine. If you buy >~3 bottles of wine most do not charge you for the tasting. If you are driving or do not want to be a too "happy" passenger ask for a spittoon. Most gladly accommodate this and take you more seriously, almost as if you are a wine connoisseur even if you are an amateur. Other places to see with chargers are the Laura Secord Homestead, Niagara College Benchmark (Teaching) Restaurant where you get haute cuisine at more reasonable prices. Benchmark is walking distance to the college's charging station but make reservations ahead of time for this student run restaurant. While in NOYL you can usually walk around the town & leave you car plugged in at your residence.

• Informative
Reactions: Snowstorm
If the house has an electric clothes dryer, the outlet can give a good charge overnight. We live near Philadelphia, could have loaned you some of our adapters and welder extension cord.

Every summer we stay at family house on Cape Cod. Use dryer plug adapter cord and 50 ft. Welder extension cord to charge Model S from dryer outlet on the other side of the house.