TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Philly burbs

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Rich_PSU, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Rich_PSU

Rich_PSU Member

Any fellow Philly burbs owners put their snow tires on yet? Been holding off since its been so nice.

Btw, what are you guys running for snows?

I went with 19" Drag rims, Dunlop Winter Maxx, and Tesla tpms.

I think I paid about $1650 total. Fyi, Tesla TPMS was $50/corner straight from the service center.

2. murphyS85

murphyS85 Member

I don't bother with snow tires. By the time I get my driveway cleared the plow has been by and cleared the street. If my street is clear, so are all of the main roads. I'm retired so in the event of an ice storm I just stay home.

3. Rich_PSU

Rich_PSU Member

I wasn't originally going to get snow tires since my wife and I also have a Jetta and a Sierra 2500 but I figured that having all 3 vehicles "snow ready" doesn't hurt. I also have the 21" wheels/tires which really only needs the temp to be really low for them to be rock hard.

4. models8974

models8974 New Member

Steep driveway here so winter tires really helped me. Michelin X-ice, probably overkill but made a huge difference and I felt well worth the cost.
    I put them on a few weeks ago but they haven't been needed yet.

5. CaryS

CaryS Member

Ordered the 19" Pirellis from Tesla with rims. I know they arent the best snow tire but since I bought them direct from Tesla, the Service Center changes them gratis. Thought the convenience was worth it.

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

We just run the 19" All-seasons on our Tesla, didn't have any problems last winter.

Haven't put the snows on my RWD BMW yet though... gonna be 70 degrees on Thursday, seems kinda silly. I usually wait until the first forecast with really low temps or snow to do it.

7. Barry

Barry Member

I lived in Bucks Co. for 30 years. can't believe youse guys would even consider snow tires :smile:

8. Rich_PSU

Rich_PSU Member

I ran snow tires on my old BMW. RWD and snow tires are a must. Especially with a car that has torque. I have the 21" wheels with summer tires on the Model S. I think driving on those in the winter would be down right irresponsible. That's why I have snows.

9. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Will probably put them on in mid/late January: SotoZeros. I have a very steep driveway and hill in and out of the development. Many days I have to leave home before the snow plow comes by..so in my case they are a necessity (vs the 21" summer tires)