Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app button improvements - states & actions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
This is probably covered elsewhere, but:

I continue to be annoyed about some inconsistencies and vagaries with the main function buttons in the mobile app.

( I currently have version 3.10.3 of the Tesla iOS app. )

This is the usual set of buttons I see when I open the app away from my car:
buttons1.png

So first off, it isn't clear (without knowing actual context of the car state) if those are showing the state of things, or are suggesting actions to take.

So, assuming you know that they are supposed to show the current state, it is already confusing.
The FAN button looks sort-of OK. I can assume from the faint slash that it is off.
If I press it, it changes to this:
fan-on.png

So, the gray background is showing that it is on now. That seems OK.

Now, on to the "Frunk". The button for "frunk is closed" looks like it is already open.
I actually got a bit scared that I had left my frunk open the first time I saw that and had to go out to the car and check it.
When you open the frunk, the button is still the same picture. Couldn't they put that gray background on it when the frunk is open?
[ Suggestion to have different button for 'frunk is already open' ]:
open-frunk.png
<<-- mockup

While we are at it, why not have the closed frunk button make it more clear that it is closed and clicking the button would make it open?
open-the-frunk.png
<<-- mockup

And for consistency, why not have the unlocked car show the gray background?:
unlocked-car.png
<<-- mockup

I think they should label those icons on the main menu as they do on the Controls menu. Having a closed lock icon with the text label UNLOCK (as on the Controls menu) tells me unambiguously that the car is currently locked and pressing that button would unlock the car. With the unlabeled icon, I have to pause a moment to recall that it represents the current state rather than the action.

Yes, the CONTROLS menu is better, with action words listed on top of each.
controls.png

Would be better if the labels above the bottom two said:
"OPEN THE HOOD" & "OPEN THE TRUNK"

( "Bonnet" & "Boot" in UK... )

Yes, the CONTROLS menu is better, with action words listed on top of each.
View attachment 519576

Would be better if the labels above the bottom two said:
"OPEN THE HOOD" & "OPEN THE TRUNK"

( "Bonnet" & "Boot" in UK... )
Or just the label "OPEN" above each of those two icons. The text indicates the action; the icon indicates the object being acted on. That's how it's done for all the other items on the Controls menu. Labeling those two items as FRONT and TRUNK (text indicating object instead of action) is another example of inconsistency.

Or just the label "OPEN" above each of those two icons.

That is what the in-car display does, but I don't love that either. Just "OPEN" can be an indicator that it is open, not necessarily just an action.
Perhaps it could say "Open it" instead of just "Open."
( So people don't have to ask themselves "Is it telling me that it is open already, or is it asking me to press there to open it?" )
Terms like "Honk" and "Flash" and "Start" are unambiguous verbs, but "open" is state or action.

But I still would prefer as explicit as possible like "Open the hood" and "Open the trunk"

Also, preemptively, for anyone reading this who says to themselves "I had no problem figuring it out as-is, so it is fine..."
Sure... But I think there is plenty of room to improve it so that new users can figure it out more quickly.
If you jump between a lot of different things, it is helpful if it is as intuitive and logical as possible.
Also, not everyone is as quick-witted and has as good a memory for app quirks as you do.