Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app trying to connect to car but fails.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I leave my Tesla parked for about 4 hours and I open the phone app it just says waking up vehicle and then fails to connect. Although I can still unlock the car perfectly fine just by walking up to it and opening the door handles. The phone app doesn’t connect to the car when it’s parked, but the Bluetooth connection works when I walk up to the car. Does anyone else have this problem? This was happening since I got the car (the first day of use) on my 2021 Model 3. I like to see the charging information on the app because I don’t have to go all the way to the car. Does anyone know a fix to this! Also I tried to leave the car on it’s Lte network and on home WIFI and got the same results! I think this problem is to do with WIFI connection because the Bluetooth connection to unlock the car just works seamlessly. I have been using this car for 4 days now and this problem is frustrating!

Reactions: Taxvictim
I have this same issue when at my daughter’s house with the car on the very edge of her WiFi range. It appears to me (and I could be totally wrong here) that the car can detect there is a WiFi (barely) available so it chooses that method to connect, but the signal actually isn’t strong enough to do so and fails. If the car is solidly outside her WiFi range it connects without a problem using the car’s LTE.

A test would be to temporarily disable your WiFi connection at the car to force it to use only LTE and see if your connection issue goes away.

I have this same issue when at my daughter’s house with the car on the very edge of her WiFi range. It appears to me (and I could be totally wrong here) that the car can detect there is a WiFi (barely) available so it chooses that method to connect, but the signal actually isn’t strong enough to do so and fails. If the car is solidly outside her WiFi range it connects without a problem using the car’s LTE.

A test would be to temporarily disable your WiFi connection at the car to force it to use only LTE and see if your connection issue goes away.
I tried connecting to LTE (Forgetting my WIFI network) but the same results happened, and much quicker! It took about 2 hours for it to be stuck saying waking up. What am I supposed to do now? Will this get fixed in an update or is it the cars problem with connection? This is not a problem because my family members also have the app (so they can drive the car, we sometimes drive in the same car and stuff) and they still have the same problem as me! Has this happened to anyone when under LTE or just me? The same problem happens at work and anywhere else by the way, so if I want to open the frunk because I’m carrying things with me I have to do it from the inside screen which is just a big hassle. Then again it isn’t a huge problem but I would like to know that this problem is not just with our car. Also it would be nice if anyone finds a fix to this!

I tried connecting to LTE (Forgetting my WIFI network) but the same results happened, and much quicker! It took about 2 hours for it to be stuck saying waking up. What am I supposed to do now? Will this get fixed in an update or is it the cars problem with connection? This is not a problem because my family members also have the app (so they can drive the car, we sometimes drive in the same car and stuff) and they still have the same problem as me! Has this happened to anyone when under LTE or just me? The same problem happens at work and anywhere else by the way, so if I want to open the frunk because I’m carrying things with me I have to do it from the inside screen which is just a big hassle. Then again it isn’t a huge problem but I would like to know that this problem is not just with our car. Also it would be nice if anyone finds a fix to this!
Looks like a service call is in order.