Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does 'disconnected' actually mean on the Tesla mobile app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.
I have never quite understood what 'disconnected' means on the mobile app.
I thought it meant 'disconnected from bluetooth' but when I click on the app it then connects to the car so that can't be right.
What does 'disconnected' actually mean? Why does it disconnect at all? Is it to save phone battery?
And actually, how is it even connected to my phone in the first place?
If the app is disconnected does that prevent me opening the car with my phone? It hasn't seemed to be a problem and I'm thinking the opening and closing of the car is a bluetooth thing. But I'd love to understand fully what's going on here.
Any help is gratefully received.
Thank you.

Disconnected means outside of Bluetooth range.

The app connects through either cell or WiFi.
Thank you. So the app disconnects when it's out of bluetooth range but it can connect through WIFI or cell. Why doesn't it simply stay connected in either WIFI or cell? I get that it disconnects once outside of bluetooth range but I don't get how it's able to reconnect simply by opening the app. I'm still out of bluetooth range but I'm connected by WIFI, is that it? Also I don't quite get how the car is connected by WIFI when that is also out of range.
I realise I'm probably overthinking all this but I don't understand.
Another question. My phone opens the car by being in the vicinity of it. My new watch also has the capability of opening the car if I instruct it to through an app on the watch.. Are they able to do this through bluetooth or NFC? It can't be WIFI because I can open it anywhere.
Any help gratefully received.