Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key frustratingly pernickity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suddenly, my phone key, which usually exhibits the epitome of good manners has gone rogue.

Trying the door handle results in a message on the screen "Use key card to unlock". Now
I must say that this has happened very occasionally in the past and I have wondered whether there is some counter being incremented every time you use the phone key and when it gets to some number it says "I just need to check that he's still got the key card" and so it forces you to prove yourself before zeroing that counter. Maybe, but maybe not.

Anyway, another method I have employed is to turn Bluetooth off and then on in which case it re-establishes connection and I can unlock. But not now. "Use you key card and I don't care how many times you reset Bluetooth I'm not letting you in."

This is a pain. Does it mean that one ought to always carry the key card as well as the phone key? Suppose it was a dark and windy night and you had left the car for some perfectly innocent purpose and on return were met with the implacable "Use your key card or else"?

So, what are your experiences? Do you always carry your backup key card? Have you ever been told when using your key card to "Stop being silly and use your phone key"?

Levity aside, my complaint is that locking and unlocking is far from perfect and what is your advice?
Thanks

OP to answer your other question, yes, you should always have the keycard with you as a backup. It can go in the exact same spot your drivers license is in (wallet, bag etc) and because its a card it doesnt take up very much room at all. I have carried mine around for 2 years now, and only had to use it 2-3 times, but those times I was glad I had it.