Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key Not Working Well Anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I’ve had my phone set key up for months now without an issue. Recently it won’t connect to my phone anymore. So I have to use the key card to get into the vehicle as well as put the key card on the center console to drive the vehicle. If I close the app completely and re open it multiple times eventually it will say phone key connected. I’ve tried deleting the key and re adding it but still same issue. Does anyone have suggestions so I can’t get it to go back to being more consistent thanks!

What year/model is your Y? I had similar behavior when my 12v was just about to bite the dust, and in fact, in hindsight, it was the only semi-warning I had before it completely died...other than this behavior I had ZERO warning before it just went kaput.

If I close the app completely and re open it multiple times eventually it will say phone key connected.

The phone key should be running in the background... it's unrelated to the app being opened, or at least it should be.

Does anyone have suggestions so I can’t get it to go back to being more consistent thanks!

I recommend just standing there next time. Make sure your phone is out so we know there's nothing in the way of the signal (like your body or coat pocket).

Just see how long it takes to connect if you're patient. This should at least prove that you fidgeting with the app isn't helping, it's the time that solves it.

If you're using an android, make sure the Tesla app is allowed to run without battery optimization.

The phone key should be running in the background... it's unrelated to the app being opened, or at least it should be.

I recommend just standing there next time. Make sure your phone is out so we know there's nothing in the way of the signal (like your body or coat pocket).

Just see how long it takes to connect if you're patient. This should at least prove that you fidgeting with the app isn't helping, it's the time that solves it.

If you're using an android, make sure the Tesla app is allowed to run without battery optimization.
Thanks for the info. I’m iPhone iOS. I’ve been taking my phone out now but before I could just walk up to the car with my phone in my pocket and it worked. So maybe it’s something to do with winter clothing as stated above. I’ll try out the wait a min with my phone out to see if it connects.

I recently began experiencing issues with my phone key. iPhone 14 running the latest iOS version. Toggling Bluetooth seems to fix it. But it is annoying to have to do that each time it doesn’t work. Service just replaced my 12v a few weeks ago.

I will confirm that, apparently, a winter coat is the issue. We just had a cold snap. I put on a heavy cost. Phone key would not work, Car asked for key card to be put on charger pad. I went back inside. Put a light jacket. Tried again. Problem went away. The Bluetooth range is limited. Also, the iPhone key will not work if in my back pocket and my body is blocking the signal. As another poster mentioned, the fix is to spin around and "moon" your Tesla.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I have had this issue as well. For me it only happens randomly when car is in garage and left unlocked. It has never occurred for me when getting in the car that was locked. I have found when it happens if I just open the app , tap controls and the lock but the car will then start. Still a pita

I had something similar happen. Tesla updated the phone App to ask for "Motion & Fitness" permission on my iPhone. The idea behind this is that it better detects when you are moving toward the car so that the App doesn't unlock your car just because you happen to be within bluetooth range.

Initially I allowed this and began having phone key problems, perhaps because there were two Teslas in the garage with both keyed to my phone but I don't know. At any rate, disabling "Motion & Fitness" permission solved the problem.

I just noticed there is a Tesla App update as of a week ago, I'll try the "Motion & Fitness" permission
again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chi_Guy
^^^^^

For those with IOS

Settings
General
Transfer or reset phone
Reset
Reset network settings
In addition to Bluetooth, that will erase all your Wi-Fi settings and you’ll need to reselect Wi-Fi and enter all your passwords again. I think the phone key is Bluetooth. If you want to reset that wouldn’t it be easier to just delete the car from your preselected Bluetooth devices?

No doubt the issue is on the phone side. But I suspect it’s an issue with the Tesla mobile app rather than my iPhone 14. Yesterday it did something I’ve never experienced. The mobile app showed “phone key connected” yet the touchscreen in the car was telling me the car was locked. Toggling Bluetooth solved the issue.

Reactions: Mike_TV
No doubt the issue is on the phone side. But I suspect it’s an issue with the Tesla mobile app rather than my iPhone 14. Yesterday it did something I’ve never experienced. The mobile app showed “phone key connected” yet the touchscreen in the car was telling me the car was locked. Toggling Bluetooth solved the issue.
Ran into this with the recent Tesla mobile app update. I think you are correct.