Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone not connecting to car upon walkup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I did a bit more testing today, I opened the App on my phone 3 minutes beforehand and hovered around the car before trying to pull the door handle and this worked perfectly and I could also drive away after jumping in.

Returning to the car a bit later on (with the Tesla App still running on my phone from earlier), the door handle would not unlock when pulled so I pressed the unlock button on the phone and jumped in, could not drive away as the car requested I present the card to the center console, after presenting the card I drove around for half an hour whilst leaving the App running on my phone, when I eventually stopped driving and parked up, the car displayed a message about auto lock not being available which tells me that even after half an hour the phone App was still not properly connected to the car.

A few questions here, if the App is not fully connected to the car then how am I able to use the unlock button on the App (probably over the internet), still make phone calls in the vehicle as well as listen to Bluetooth music from my phone in the car whilst all this is happening?

P.S. I also made sure that the App is not set for battery optimization in my phone.