Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pillar Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still getting excessive "right pillar camera blocked" messages when driving on dark roads. It's only the right pillar camera, not the others. I have brought this up with the SC center many times and get the standard "we can't find any hardware problems". Well.....I talked to the other four customers in the waiting area all which had 2022 or 2023 Ys or 3s, and every one of them have the same issue and only with the right pillar camera. Seems too coincidental to be hardware and is more than likely a poorly trained neural net.

Upvote 0
I get the same warnings, but on both sides. It just depends on which direction I'm driving in relation to the sun, and to some extent on trees. Mostly I get the warnings when the bright sun is shining through bare trees; as as the car moves the camera is going from sun to shade constantly, even multiple times per second. I suspect that the sun being lower in the sky (northern hemisphere, New England in my case) makes it worse.

Upvote 0
I'm still getting excessive "right pillar camera blocked" messages when driving on dark roads. It's only the right pillar camera, not the others. I have brought this up with the SC center many times and get the standard "we can't find any hardware problems". Well.....I talked to the other four customers in the waiting area all which had 2022 or 2023 Ys or 3s, and every one of them have the same issue and only with the right pillar camera. Seems too coincidental to be hardware and is more than likely a poorly trained neural net.
You're getting those on dark roads because the camera can't see anything. Yeah, the message is a little annoying but in the circumstances you note, just ignore it.

Upvote 0
Except that my Autopilot won't activate when the message is up. That's the annoying part.
Yes I am getting this message frequently as well. I get it when I'm driving at night I get it when I'm driving in the early morning I get it when I'm backing into my parking area outside at night generally but also if it's rainy or foggy or honestly many other conditions and it is a bit frustrating to me. I still am struggling to understand why they did away with the ultrasonic sensors unless they would not have been part of this anyway? I mean it seems that the car has the same problem seeing that I would have in those conditions and that's when I obviously need the car to come through for me the most. Why design a car that can only see well when I can see well given the atmospheric conditions? I have a 2023 model y in which the ultrasonic sensors have been removed before sale apparently.

Upvote 0