Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pinellas to Orlando commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I have a model 3 reservation, and am also considering getting a model S or X as another vehicle for our household.

My question is really around how close the range has been for current owners, as my wife regularly commutes from Safety Harbor to just past Disney about 2x a week (about 185-190mi round trip). Due to the frequency and time frames involved (12 hr days often heading home near midnight), recharging or destination charging would likely not be a realistic option, so the car would need to deliver the 190 miles consistently without needing a charge or going to an extreme that hurts the battery (100% charging and driving to zero miles).

I have been getting really tempted to get a model S but there is no way we can afford anything past a 75D. What I have read so far a that owners should charge to about 80% which takes the 259 EPA rating to 207 miles. At that rate, IF I get EPA rates, that would leave 17 miles left on the charge.

So with all that said, have any pinellas drivers made this trip without charging, or Orlando drivers to Clearwater and back in a 75 or 75D? What has been your experience with I-4 and estimated vs actual mileage?

Thanks for the feedback!

Hello all,
I have a model 3 reservation, and am also considering getting a model S or X as another vehicle for our household.

My question is really around how close the range has been for current owners, as my wife regularly commutes from Safety Harbor to just past Disney about 2x a week (about 185-190mi round trip). Due to the frequency and time frames involved (12 hr days often heading home near midnight), recharging or destination charging would likely not be a realistic option, so the car would need to deliver the 190 miles consistently without needing a charge or going to an extreme that hurts the battery (100% charging and driving to zero miles).

I have been getting really tempted to get a model S but there is no way we can afford anything past a 75D. What I have read so far a that owners should charge to about 80% which takes the 259 EPA rating to 207 miles. At that rate, IF I get EPA rates, that would leave 17 miles left on the charge.

So with all that said, have any pinellas drivers made this trip without charging, or Orlando drivers to Clearwater and back in a 75 or 75D? What has been your experience with I-4 and estimated vs actual mileage?

Thanks for the feedback!
Hi! I don't have a 75D, but I used to have a 60, and have made that drive from a bit further southwest (I'm in Seminole). I did charge at a hotel, but with careful driving probably could have made it...maybe.

For that drive in a 75D, I'd definitely charge to 100%. I charge daily to about 90%, even in my 90D. As long as you aren't doing 100% daily, it's perfectly fine once in a while.

I'm sure she'd be fine for that distance, as long as she drive a reasonable speed.

FYI, my parents and my sister live in Safety Harbor, so if you ever see a midnight silver 90D with a sparkly license frame, wave cuz it's me!

I did Palm Harbor to Sand Lake Rd in Orlando last week - 210 miles round trip. You can do it, but there is no margin for error. I was sweating it but did it just to see if I could. I had 7 miles of range left. She won't be a happy wife when she gets home each day.

Even if there is a charger where she's going, you get the stress of what if someone else is using it.

Of course, everything depends on how you drive, but to get 250 mikes, you have to drive like an old lady. I get about 10% less than the rated miles the way I drive, so about 225 mimes on a full charge.

This trip is just long enough that you'd need a reliable place to charge in Orlando.

We have a Model S 70D and a few times a month make the trip to either Disney, or Orlando from the Wesley Chapel area. We typically charge the car to 80% (~190 miles of range) each day with our wall charger. For trips to Orlando, I typically charge to 100% just before departing (~237 miles of range - when new 1 1/4 years ago it was 240 miles at 100%). Typically, we return home with 20-30 miles of range remaining from these trips. Admittedly, I don't drive too quickly when on these longer trips.

My guess is she would be fine with the trip, but I'd definitely charge to 100% on those days. Range anxiety does lessen over time, I don't really worry at all until I am below 20 miles of range which rarely happens.

I have an MX 75D and I have pretty accurately run about 87-88% actual miles to what the car is saying it has available. My 90% daily charge is around 210-213 miles, so 87% of that means real world travel is 182-185. That is highway driving, about 8 miles over the speed limit, family of 5, AC cranking around 71. Not ideal conditions for maximizing range but it's my real world and what I have seen. Not sure how that translates to an MS but thought I would share in case it helps...Good luck!

It seems to me that the practice solution is to find a charging station for her to use at her workplace so she can charge there while working. That is by far the least stress. Around that area there are lots of charging options and Plugshre lists the public ones:
PlugShare
It is possible that her workplace might have EV changing available. It's worth checking becfore you decide. In addition many places in the area have external 120V outlets in parking garages that can be used. That will give her an extra 40 miles or so during a workday, enough to eliminate many problems with anxiety. Its also possible that her workplace might have a 220v outlet that they'd allow her to use which would allow full charging over an eight hour workday with zero hassle. I'd check on such options at the workplace before making a commitment.

You might want to consider a CPO 90D or 85D which would give more range. All in all, she'll end out with a workable, comfortable commute if you can locate any electrical outlet she can use every day at work, preferably 220v. Amperage is not too important for a workday charge. A couple acquaintances have raised such an issue with employers when there was no charging and ended out with BEV charging stations built in parking garages. That works. Friends at Baptist Health in South Florida had such issues. They ended out with charging installed for employees only in one spot, for visitors in another. The time is ripe for such solutions.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. It looks like we need to keep researching some solutions to keep her feeling good, CPO might be a good bet.
Ideally I would have the S and she would end up with the model 3 but the speculation here doesn't sound like the larger batteries will be quite large enough for the trip. Guess we will find out in July...

What would be truly awesome would be a supercharger somewhere in the Lakeland to champions gate area... hopefully someone @tesla is keeping this area in mind.

Of course, everything depends on how you drive, but to get 250 mikes, you have to drive like an old lady. I get about 10% less than the rated miles the way I drive, so about 225 mimes on a full charge.

This trip is just long enough that you'd need a reliable place to charge in Orlando.
first off if that drive is the Op's regular pattern he MUST get a 90 or above to be able to drive those miles without worry.
if you consider driving at or slightly above the posted limit driving like an old lady then even a tesla with 90 battery may not be the car for someone who needs to do that commute daily and drive as fast as you seem to want to.

winds, rain and speed are the biggest factors needed to be concerned about.

of course the ability to charge while at work changes everything but that charger needs to be always available and always online or you risk having issues.

FWIW: I can easily get 250 miles out of my s90d when charged to 100% the trick is to keep your wh/miles below 330.

A strong wind or a strong rain will kill your range. Both very possible in central FL. Under perfect conditions and perfect driving it is very doable in a 75D. However, if you encounter heavy prolonged rain, travel on an especially cold morning (it does happen at times), forced to detour off I-4 because of an accident (it happens), get stuck in a ton of traffic, or anything that prevents you from doing that trip according to your perfect plan you will have issues.

There are lots of public charging options in Orlando. Definitely check into Plugshare as others have mentioned. The Supercharger on Tpike is only about 5-6 miles north of I-4 so if it gets close you always have that option. 10-20mins parked there will get you what you need to get home.

It's 98 miles each way from our house to the Orlando airport, and my husband can barely do it in our S85 on a 100% (250 mile) charge because of the way he drives. On the other hand, he's done it twice in our new Nissan Leaf, with a stop at the Dunkin Donuts CHAdeMO on 98 in Lakeland. So it could be doable for a lower range Model S with a CHAdeMO adapter.

Moral of the story is, don't do it for the wife unless she is "all in" on the EV thing.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e

Is there any ability to trickle charge on a 120 outlet at work? If so, there should not be any problem or need to charge on the road. Charging for around 8 hours on a 210 should add about 32 miles, which sounds like it would be a sufficient buffer.

Reactions: LoL Rick