Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid not going to sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my plaid two days ago. Seems like it doesn't go to sleep when it's charging. Other have any similar issues with Plaid or other?
I think that's normal. It doesn't go into as deep a sleep while charging. Also depends if heating or cooling is needed as well.
That's another reason why faster charging at home is slightly more efficient.

How are you defining "not sleeping"?

If my 2019 X is charging, everything I do is instantaneous. Screen blink on instantly.
But if it's in REM sleep, it take a few seconds to wake up and turn screens on etc. It varies a little.

Two days is pretty soon to learn it ways. Updates could be coming in, maps updating etc.

Well when my 2020 Model S would be plugged it, it would go to sleep in like 5-10 mins. It would take like 30 secs to wake it up to try to access it from the phone app. My 2022 plaid is instantly available when I open the app, even 30 mins after I plug it in.

So if that is the case, should I increase the charging rate to help the car go to sleep faster? Or does it matter? I can charge up to 32A, and I have it set to 12A through the app

Well when my 2020 Model S would be plugged it, it would go to sleep in like 5-10 mins. It would take like 30 secs to wake it up to try to access it from the phone app. My 2022 plaid is instantly available when I open the app, even 30 mins after I plug it in.

So if that is the case, should I increase the charging rate to help the car go to sleep faster? Or does it matter? I can charge up to 32A, and I have it set to 12A through the app

Remote Access delays or sleep does not mean the car is asleep. There are times when the car is still awake with doors open, screens all lit up, and I am right next to or right inside my car, I still get Remote Access delays with my phone app.

You know your car is not asleep while charging if you can have an audio recording while it's charging. It would pick up quite a few noises like the HVAC, clicking sounds... while your Remote Access might be 30 seconds delayed.

Tesla has made its sleeping routine automatic so there's no need to manually adjust when it should sleep.

For practical purposes, it doesn't make any difference in your battery longevity.

Remote Access delays or sleep does not mean the car is asleep. There are times when the car is still awake with doors open, screens all lit up, and I am right next to or right inside my car, I still get Remote Access delays with my phone app.

You know your car is not asleep while charging if you can have an audio recording while it's charging. It would pick up quite a few noises like the HVAC, clicking sounds... while your Remote Access might be 30 seconds delayed.

Tesla has made its sleeping routine automatic so there's no need to manually adjust when it should sleep.

For practical purposes, it doesn't make any difference in your battery longevity.

Great info! Should I just leave my charging speed at 12AMP then? Or increase it?

Great info! Should I just leave my charging speed at 12AMP then? Or increase it?

In theory, heat is very bad for your battery so in the old days, you didn't want to choose a faster rate due to increased heat.

It was problematic because there was no Active Cooling System for your battery like the original Nissan Leaf system that only used passive air cooling.

Now, people are smarter so they use the Active Cooling System to automatically control the temperature of their battery.

Thus, for practical purposes, you can set any Amp numbers that you prefer. There's no wrong number because your car caps the number so you can't go beyond its limit. Your BMS Battery Management System monitors your battery status 24/7 even when your car goes to sleep and it would intervene as needed to keep your battery in the best condition.

Enjoy your car!