Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plasti dipped the tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finally found time to make a post on plasti dipping the exterior of my 20 model 3 lr awd.

Yes we dipped it in a dirty old garage. The heater for the paint booth was down and this portion of the garage was still temp controlled. We wet the floors periodically and did lots of prep work to keep the finish from catching dust/debris. In actuality we only got any kind of poor finish from the DYC gun that comes in the pro kit, when it decided to gunk up on the front and blast bits of dried dip into the finish. We ended up actually peeling(very easily) the doors on the LH side and the hood due to poor finish issues and respraying. For the hood on the second attempt we mixed 2:1 anthracite grey with some silver metalizer as an experiment. Not too much of a difference honestly unless in direct sunlight. The rest of the vehicle has a base coat of avalanche grey, followed by anthracite grey as the top color. 4 coats of each created a thickness of what id compare to having multiple rubber gloves over your car.

Clear takeaways. This is not show car quality up close, but if you dipped 1 or 2 cars you can be pretty damn close to that with mild effort and a pro could easily do a job better than a vinyl wrap. This is definitely thick enough especially after peeling and feeling the material to act as a PPF coating. That's actually what I did it for as where I live in new York we deal with intense road salting and stone chips. Prep and tape is everything, and doing thick coats helps when it comes to removal. We taped the headlamps and tail lamps because some vehicles have issues with the plastidip hazing the lenses, but everything else peeled and was immaculate underneath(emblems, door handles, rear reflectors, mirrors and window glass areas. There's lots of specifics that you need to get into to deal with any car when dipping and if you message me I can help, but they also have some really great videos which would probably help you out more. I'm happy with it, and save for some first time rookie mistakes I would recommend. They say you can't use a standard hvlp spray gun but that's how we got some of the best finish.

In the spring I may or may not peel it, it feels very rugged and is holding up well to the weather and road conditions. If anything I might peel it in the late spring, rock black for the summer, and respray a different color next winter. Once peeled the beautiful factory, and clean/prepped paint is there waiting for you.

***IMAGES NOT UPLOADED YET*****
I have some photos to show, but right now the upload function isn't working and I don't have an image hosting service at the moment set up. I'll have to get back to this later.. I'm sorry since most people want to see rather than read.. ***IMAGES NOT UPLOADED YET*****

OP - Plastidip in 2021? You get an 'A' for the effort, but tech has moved on to Autoflex Express, Sprayshield and similar liquid wraps, liquid PPF... this was a few years ago:

I had heard of these before.. and I expected "someone" to make "that" kind of reply.. but I had actually purchased this DYC kit years ago for another project car that never got the chance to use it on, so to me it was FREE lol.

(personal opinion post only, not moderation content or representative of a TMC opinion)

OP, this is the type of post I would expect to see at least a few pictures posted of the end result. Are you going to circle back and add some pictures to this post?

Unfortunately after some quick research I think my account is restricted since I'm still new, and have low post/reply counts.. and that is likely why I can't upload any pictures. Hopefully after replying to a few more threads I'll be able to circle back and post some Images.. once again I added a disclaimer at the top post to clarify something was up.

plasti4.jpg
plasti3.jpg
plasti2.jpg
plasti1.jpg

I had heard of these before.. and I expected "someone" to make "that" kind of reply.. but I had actually purchased this DYC kit years ago for another project car that never got the chance to use it on, so to me it was FREE lol.

Unfortunately after some quick research I think my account is restricted since I'm still new, and have low post/reply counts.. and that is likely why I can't upload any pictures. Hopefully after replying to a few more threads I'll be able to circle back and post some Images.. once again I added a disclaimer at the top post to clarify something was up.

(moderator note)
Usually, for posters who are new and try to include links or pictures, the posts go to a special queue that only moderators see to release the posts (or not, if the posts are not appropriate).

I havent seen anything from you to approve in the model 3 section. If you are interested in posting pictures of your car in this thread, you should be able to upload them here and if it goes to the moderation queue I will approve it.

Reactions: Sfallert
(moderator note)
Usually, for posters who are new and try to include links or pictures, the posts go to a special queue that only moderators see to release the posts (or not, if the posts are not appropriate).

I havent seen anything from you to approve in the model 3 section. If you are interested in posting pictures of your car in this thread, you should be able to upload them here and if it goes to the moderation queue I will approve it.

I figured it out. For some reason one of my images that I kept trying to upload was 3x the filesize of the other images, so I just left that one out.

Don't use Plastidip for your cars. It's meant to be used on tools to protect them temporarily during use. It's not meant for this use. You're going to have it all in the seams of your car, and it'll look awful as soon as you catch any bugs or tar on the road.

Have you any experience with the stuff? They have pro gun kits, and during prep they cover literally all of what you just said. It's tough to say this stuff isn't for cars when the website is literally called dipyourcar.com . Bugs don't seem to stick but of course it's winter here. Had a big gob of greasy road mud land on my hood from an excavator exhaust pipe and it sat for 8 hours over night and wiped right off. Solvents are a different story but as another person has stated, they make a professional line that is solvent resistant. And most solvents you wouldn't want on your paint anyway.

Have you any experience with the stuff? They have pro gun kits, and during prep they cover literally all of what you just said. It's tough to say this stuff isn't for cars when the website is literally called dipyourcar.com . Bugs don't seem to stick but of course it's winter here. Had a big gob of greasy road mud land on my hood from an excavator exhaust pipe and it sat for 8 hours over night and wiped right off. Solvents are a different story but as another person has stated, they make a professional line that is solvent resistant. And most solvents you wouldn't want on your paint anyway.

I've seen enough cars with Plasti-Dip that I know it doesn't look good or last. It was born from some Miami ****bois. But to each their own. If you like it, go for it. I'd never put that stuff on my car.

Each vehicle that is dipped is an experiment. If you follow the correct prep, and application processes, I'm not sure how it won't last, or look good. I have seen some rattle-can cars that have god awful spray patterns on them, but once again that's someone who doesn't like to do prep work, let alone a good application. My personal experiment I'll come back after spring and post an update.. but if it continues to hold up like it has.. I don't see any issues and I'll be honest, our road conditions up here make miami boys look like summer only driver's, because weather wise that is exactly all they are. If it can make it through 1 NY winter, I'll bet it can make it through 3 miami summers.

That looks very nice. How much would it cost to dip and car vs wrapping it?

Materials would cost anywhere from 250-1000 depending if you skip the primer coat, or if you have your own spray gun.

Dipped mine in Frozen Blue about 2 years ago. Left it on for a year, removed it and it's like it was never on it.
I thought about this color for next winter. How did you like it? Thought about this as a base with a gloss topcoat w/pearls in it.

Materials would cost anywhere from 250-1000 depending if you skip the primer coat, or if you have your own spray gun.

I thought about this color for next winter. How did you like it? Thought about this as a base with a gloss topcoat w/pearls in it.

I loved it minus the few spots I messed up. I'd 100% do it again if I could but DYC won't ship overseas.