Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Played on the highway: 30mi under 200 Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a trip down to Downtown Austin - a 150mi round trip with about 160mi starting range - and wanted to see how efficient I could go to try and prevent SC’ing. On the trip down I was able to get a 30mi average down to 225Wh/mi with total trip at 281Wh/mi by drafting behind a semi for a good portion of the highway drive.
For the return leg it said I needed to stay under 65MPH to get home with 5% battery. I wanted to try and see if I could do any better...here is what happened:
View media item 120422View media item 120423This was again drafting behind a semi, but not in range mode and still had the AC on because it was almost 90* outside. Changes in elevation of the 60mi trip also made it difficult to get the total average down - and as I didn’t get a pic of that I can assume that it would be in the 225Wh/mi range for the full 65 mile drive.
Will make this trip again in a couple weeks so curious what Range mode and AC off would allow it to get down to.
Here is what TezLab shows, but I averaged between 65-70mph on the actual highway.
12D5B5D3-52D2-4900-82D0-F01626C76574.png

• Funny
Reactions: forkee
that's some commendable hypermiling. the lowest i can get is about 370 wh/mi
I'm not even seeing that at under 35 mph avg...Looked this morning and noticed that I used up 80 miles of range to go a whopping 42 miles (1 week of driving back and forth to work). Usage has been at around 450-470 Wh/mi, this is in chill mode. Avg commute is about 3 miles each way.

I'm not even seeing that at under 35 mph avg...Looked this morning and noticed that I used up 80 miles of range to go a whopping 42 miles (1 week of driving back and forth to work). Usage has been at around 450-470 Wh/mi, this is in chill mode. Avg commute is about 3 miles each way.

same here. work is less than 2 miles away and on average im at 500 wh/mi. the longer the commute, the better the efficiency. along with the nightly phantom drain and daily AC usage to keep climate under 110 (park under the sun all day), i only get about 90 miles per full "tank" if i let it go down to 10%.

same here. work is less than 2 miles away and on average im at 500 wh/mi. the longer the commute, the better the efficiency. along with the nightly phantom drain and daily AC usage to keep climate under 110 (park under the sun all day), i only get about 90 miles per full "tank" if i let it go down to 10%.
Gotcha. I know I'm not alone with the less than impressive range of the older 90 battery packs. Car is still amazing to drive every time I get in it!

Gotcha. I know I'm not alone with the less than impressive range of the older 90 battery packs. Car is still amazing to drive every time I get in it!
Oh don’t think this is anywhere near what historically the car has done the last 10 months we’ve had it. The car says we are averaging ~340Wh/mi lifetime, but when I actually calculate the mileage we are averaging closer to 440Wh/mi and average about 120 miles using 90%-10% of the 75kW battery.