Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please explain Gemini wheel covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the aerodynamics of the Gemini wheel covers actually amount to anything? I realized that the covers on both the right and left sides are exactly the same Although when in operation, if the right side covers are turning clockwise, then the left side are turning counterclockwise and whatever effect they are having, (if any), seems like it would be reversed? If the right side is sucking air into the wheel well, then the left side would be exhausting air out of the wheel well, eh? The "air foil" design is exactly the same on all 4. Is that normal, or should I be trying to arrange a swap(2) with someone who has a set of "lefts"? {I must surely be blessed if this is all I have to worry about. . . . . . }

They make a difference if you are pinching miles. Probably in the 5%-10% range. There are some posts on the subject where people do test trials. It has the effect of stopping a majority of the wind turbulence in and around the wheels.

Do the aerodynamics of the Gemini wheel covers actually amount to anything? I realized that the covers on both the right and left sides are exactly the same Although when in operation, if the right side covers are turning clockwise, then the left side are turning counterclockwise and whatever effect they are having, (if any), seems like it would be reversed? If the right side is sucking air into the wheel well, then the left side would be exhausting air out of the wheel well, eh? The "air foil" design is exactly the same on all 4. Is that normal, or should I be trying to arrange a swap(2) with someone who has a set of "lefts"? {I must surely be blessed if this is all I have to worry about. . . . . . }

I personally don't think it does. Because on my Model 3 I drove the car for a whole year with the Aero wheels cover ON VS I drove the next full year without the Aero wheels cover. Zero differences (well at least I didn't notice any)

My Model Y LR has the 19 inches Gemini wheels and I just kept the covers on that because I think is uglier without that cover. What really has directs effect to your "efficiency" *Strictly speaking wheels* is your Tire Pressures, Wheel base +/- , All seasons/Summer/Winter tires and Remaining tire wears.

So at the end of the day. If you plan to go on a road trip and there isn't much chargers around I will keep the cover on because it might save you 5-10 miles.
But daily driving in the Urban areas. is up to you to keep them on or off strictly for appearances.

Reactions: BitJam and legendsk
There are some youtube tests that show it makes a difference. I'm against plastic hubcaps on my $60k car of the future though. I drove without them until I bought new rims. I know folks that only use them for road trips - when you might really want the extra 15-20 miles.

There are some youtube tests that show it makes a difference. I'm against plastic hubcaps on my $60k car of the future though. I drove without them until I bought new rims. I know folks that only use them for road trips - when you might really want the extra 15-20 miles.
My thoughts are that if ur blocking air flow by covering up the wheel u get better mileage.
Just like wheel spats