Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help with replacing rear window Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may have found your answer already, if not I had my rear trunk lid realigned by the Tesla Body Shop in Pomona few months ago. To complete this process, the rear glass had to be removed which requires breaking, yes breaking, the spoiler off as I was told the fixed spoilers are one-time use. I remember this quite well because my car sat in Service for a month waiting for a replacement spoiler from Fremont.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
thanks jmcmill!
here was my experience - hopefully this information will help future fixed spoiler X drivers (and maybe the active spoilers are removed the same way).

1. tesla service centers don't repair glass
2. in san jose, the SC recommended mex auto glass. mex started a contract with service center just a few weeks ago. they didn't know when they could get the glass, wouldn't give me an estimate and never called me back. boo
3. went to auto glass repair shop down the street where i have taken my other car with good results and good service. he would do it, but i had to purchase the glass from tesla parts store at service center (auto glass stores get no discount from tesla)
4. purchased glass myself and put it in back seat and took car to local shop
5. after calling around, i found out the MAGICAL SECRET: THE TOP OF THE SPOILER (LID) CAN BE PRIED OFF (BREAK GLUE SEALS) AND THE SCREWS HOLDING THE SPOILER IN PLACE ARE ACCESSED FROM ABOVE.
6. i suppose some shops would prefer to just break the lid off and replace it (like jmcmill's experience)
7. in the end, my guy carefully removed the lid without breaking it and glued it back down. there were a few hardly noticeable small dings in the spoiler lid, but it worked

OVERALL HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE DEALING WITH TESLA.
I didn't mention the 20 other phone calls I made to: insurance, tesla SC's, 6 different glass stores, etc...
and oh btw, believe me if you want, the rear glass shattered into a thousand pieces corner to corner without any outside impact or crack ever noticed. very suspicious. and don't get me started on the other many repairs the car has needed also. sigh....

thanks jmcmill!
here was my experience - hopefully this information will help future fixed spoiler X drivers (and maybe the active spoilers are removed the same way).

1. tesla service centers don't repair glass
2. in san jose, the SC recommended mex auto glass. mex started a contract with service center just a few weeks ago. they didn't know when they could get the glass, wouldn't give me an estimate and never called me back. boo
3. went to auto glass repair shop down the street where i have taken my other car with good results and good service. he would do it, but i had to purchase the glass from tesla parts store at service center (auto glass stores get no discount from tesla)
4. purchased glass myself and put it in back seat and took car to local shop
5. after calling around, i found out the MAGICAL SECRET: THE TOP OF THE SPOILER (LID) CAN BE PRIED OFF (BREAK GLUE SEALS) AND THE SCREWS HOLDING THE SPOILER IN PLACE ARE ACCESSED FROM ABOVE.
6. i suppose some shops would prefer to just break the lid off and replace it (like jmcmill's experience)
7. in the end, my guy carefully removed the lid without breaking it and glued it back down. there were a few hardly noticeable small dings in the spoiler lid, but it worked

OVERALL HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE DEALING WITH TESLA.
I didn't mention the 20 other phone calls I made to: insurance, tesla SC's, 6 different glass stores, etc...
and oh btw, believe me if you want, the rear glass shattered into a thousand pieces corner to corner without any outside impact or crack ever noticed. very suspicious. and don't get me started on the other many repairs the car has needed also. sigh....

I am in the same boat. My model X rear glass is broken, and they are telling me that the only way to replace the glass is by pealing up the spoiler lid. Thus ruining the lid and meaning i have to buy another + paint it. I suggested that they carefully remove the lid and break the glue seals as per your experience but am having a hard time convincing anyone of this path. I was hoping you could explain how your guy removed the lid (heat? denatured alcohol? Model X owner tears? etc.) and maybe just do it myself since no one else seems to care about this part!

Bestal revived the thread after a few years.

Living in the Bay Area, of course I had a smash and grab event 2 months ago. Once again, busted rear liftgate glass. I repeated the same process, bought the glass from a service center, and brought it to local glass guy. He pried the spoiler lid off and replaced it. He used what looked like a 4 inch metal putty knife and hammered it parallel to the lid to break up the glue.

Hard to get all bits of glass out of the trunk. Can still hear little pieces rolling around. Latch in the center also busted too. Had to get that replaced by mobile service.

There are short vertical pillars that hold up the spoiler. Those would be sticking up still and they have exposed screw holes. Might look a little goofy. It might be possible to remove the pillars and from afar the glass will look flush, but there will be gaps exposed to rain.

Reactions: oldsport
I’m at a glass shop trying to get my Tesla MX back glass replaced and the active spoiler is the caveat…. There has to be a better way than breaking it?
The active spoiler comes off way easier than the fixed. I converted my 19 passive to an active. Just take the interior liftgate panels off and there are four bolts two on each side that hold the top of the active spoiler to the stanchions. Once you take those nuts off the spoiler lifts off the glass make sure you have two people one person to undo the nuts, one person to hold the wing on then the stanchions slide out the passive spoiler fixed is a complete nightmare you have to separate the top appliqué of the spoiler that is glued on to undo the long bolts that go from the top down getting the glass out is hard to you need a professional glass person