Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug in J1772 adapter first -- or connect adapter to charger first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the charging station handle separates from the adapter, leaving the adapter in Model 3, use the touchscreen to unlock the charge port.
These instructions are wrong. You plug in again and repeat step 2. Works for me on a free charge station anyway. I think it probably works on any active (not dead) charge station.

No one wants to be mucking with the touchscreen. Huge waste of time and basically impossible to do (have to lean into the car and tap in the right place on the screen).

These instructions are wrong. You plug in again and repeat step 2. Works for me on a free charge station anyway. I think it probably works on any active (not dead) charge station.

No one wants to be mucking with the touchscreen. Huge waste of time and basically impossible to do (have to lean into the car and tap in the right place on the screen).
They are in the manual. And they aren't necessarily wrong. I believe there are locations that may not provide ANY power to the plug is authorization is not current, so you have to use the car or app.

So yes, to free, not necessarily to everything, for which the manual assumes.