Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug Versus Pump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This analogy is brilliant, I will use it for elevator pitch situations.
"how convenient would it be if you have to go to a remote station somewhere every few days to recharge your phone"

The thought of how ridiculous that would be and the followed appreciation of the possibly to charge the mobile phone at home is big.

Thank you for mentioning this interesting article. I noticed in particular the following facts:

"Even without a Supercharger network, EVs are actually much easier to refuel than gas-powered cars, precisely because the “scale and infrastructure” problems were solved by the electrical grid a hundred years ago."

"The one caveat here is something I’ve written about in an earlier post: the enhanced convenience of an EV disappears if you live a dense city and park your car on the street, or in a public garage with no outlets."

Well, I am exactly in this situation, like I assume many other people living in a city.

The plug-in at home model is well suited for Home owners who have their own car garage or drive way, but when you live in an apartment and park your car in the basement of your building or in the street, the comparison of charging your car with charging your smartphone at home is hitting a wall.

I really doubt that one day my building will get installed some thing like 50 plugs-in charging stations in the basement, outdoor parking garage, or in the street.

However, I am surrounded (walking distance) by parking lots that are not used after business hours, such as retails stores, schools, churches,...

I am used to refill by car gas tank once a week, so going to a recharge place once a week for a 5 minutes refill for a 250 miles, or a full night refill depending of the type of charging station, would not bother me and seems to be much cost efficient and technologically feasible than providing a charger for each tenant.

I wish that installing a Pug-in station was as easier a getting a cable TV connection to your home, but the current EV plug-in at home model is really limited to a small demographic group of single family home owners using their EV less than 50 miles a day.

Since getting my own plug-in station in my building seems near improbable, I can't way to get one day the coming affordable Tesla Bluestar with 250 miles range for $30k.

Brilliant.

These parallels are EXACTLY what is needed to change the nagging "range anxiety" narrative:

"Imagine a company releases a new smartphone that works exactly like today’s phones with one crucial difference: you can’t charge it at an ordinary outlet in your home or at the office. You can use the phone normally, but when the battery starts to run down, you have to drive to some bleak spot by the side of a highway, swipe your credit card, and sit there in this depressing non-place while it charges. And for the pleasure of this experience*, your card gets charged $50."

"Once consumers get used to the charge-at-home ritual, the pilgrimage to the gas station will very quickly feel as inconvenient as rewinding the VHS tape and driving it back to Blockbuster."

*Furthermore, this parallel reminds me of this Plug-in America video short - imagine if your cell phone also actually ran on gasoline:

Last edited:
That was a great read. The phone comparison was spot-on, IMO. I'm definitely bookmarking that one and sharing it with friends and family.

I liked Matt Yglesias' comparison of an EV to an ICE:
After all, if you were the only person in North America to own a gasoline powered car you would be the one with the range problem. It’s the gas stations, not the internal combustion engine, that make gasoline-fueled vehicles convenient.

Another similar version asks:

What if you had a gas pump at your house that would pump gasoline for free? The only caveat would be that it drips fuel from a straw. And if you go out to get gas it is 5 times more expensive? Would you change your life a bit to take advantage of that?

What if you had a gas pump at your house that would pump gasoline for free? The only caveat would be that it drips fuel from a straw. And if you go out to get gas it is 5 times more expensive? Would you change your life a bit to take advantage of that?

A number of years ago, I considered a natural gas conversion, and this is exactly the scenario you'd have at home.A compressor is installed on to the home's gas supply and it takes hours to re-fill the car's tank overnight. It was much cheaper than going to the (few and far between) NG stations. Propane seems to have taken over from NG lately.

Another similar version asks:

A slight improvement in accuracy would be gasoline at home costs $0.50/gal.

The bigger issue is what the maximum "charge" rate is. If you could fuel slowly but cheaply at home, most would do so--but knowing that you could still drive up to a gas station and fully refuel in a few minutes. An EV? Well, you get the cheap, slow fueling option, but until SuperCharging, not so fast.