Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugged in while parked for weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

We left our model x plugged in for a week now, and it will remain parked for another 6 week in our garage. It is plugged into a 120v outlet with 12A limit. We have it set to 70% limit which it lists as 187 in miles. The car has fallen to 179 miles as it loses about 1 to 1.5 miles a day. Is the car supposed to charge itself back to the limit at some point? If I raise the charge limit, it will start charging, but my question is what happens if I don’t change the charge limit. I assumed that the car would use charge as necessary to keep the battery at the charge limit, but it is not doing that.

Thank you

Hmm... I thought it would charge up again. I think mine normally would but I recall there were days it didn't for some reason (before scheduling OTA ... ie. below).

Now that the app has the ability to schedule a charge I would just do that. Here is mine as an example:
pHHuc3I.jpg

Hello,

We left our model x plugged in for a week now, and it will remain parked for another 6 week in our garage. It is plugged into a 120v outlet with 12A limit. We have it set to 70% limit which it lists as 187 in miles. The car has fallen to 179 miles as it loses about 1 to 1.5 miles a day. Is the car supposed to charge itself back to the limit at some point? If I raise the charge limit, it will start charging, but my question is what happens if I don’t change the charge limit. I assumed that the car would use charge as necessary to keep the battery at the charge limit, but it is not doing that.

Thank you
Yes, it will recharge. The state of charge will drop a certain amount (like, maybe 8% if I were to guess from my observations) and then charge back up to the set limit.
If it's very cold, that wall outlet may just about break even of charging versus keeping the battery warm while charging. It'll still be fine under all but the most extreme conditions - and I see you're I Virginia, not Alaska.
If you don't check on the car so often, it will be able to go into a deeper sleep and not pull as much power.

I've read other posts on TMC that suggest you should set the limit at 50% if you are gonna be gone a long time. Yes, it will dip down below a few miles, but then re-charge to get back to 50%.
There is nothing magical about the 50%, but that is what will happen (I leave mine set to my normal 75%). If you turn on app notifications for charging start/stop, you can see it work. Every few days you will see that it goes through a charge cycle. But It does not happen every day though, so don't stress about it if you don't see it for a while.

There is nothing magical about the 50%, but that is what will happen (I leave mine set to my normal 75%). If you turn on app notifications for charging start/stop, you can see it work. Every few days you will see that it goes through a charge cycle. But It does not happen every day though, so don't stress about it if you don't see it for a while.
I've read other posts on TMC that suggest you should set the limit at 50% if you are gonna be gone a long time. Yes, it will dip down below a few miles, but then re-charge to get back to 50%.
Hello, great minds think a like, I lowered the charge to 50% last week because I was thinking the same thing for long term storage. I'm sure it will dip below 50% and go back up as DCGOO and others stated in this thread. Thank you.