Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How dirty does the sides of your Model Y get?

How dirty does the side of your car get?

• Long Range- Yes. The sides get dirtier faster than other cars I have owned

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Long Range- No. The sides get dirty at the same rate as other cars I have owned.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Performance- Yes. The sides get dirtier faster than other cars I have owned

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Performance- No. The sides get dirty at the same rate as other cars I have owned.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had the my LR Y and driven it for about 100 miles. I was horrified to see how dirty the car got!! I don't remember any of my other cars (sports cars and SUVs) getting so dirty so quickly before.

I'm in SoCal. It's been dry here for quite some time. I don't recall driving through any puddles of any sort (perhaps, but doubt it). I'm considering applying PFF on these panels. If it gets so dirty, wouldn't it be more susceptible to rock chips?

I'm just curious to see what other owners who have had the car for a bit and have washed their cars have experienced.

I did see a video on this forum with the guy driving in the dirt road where a lot of dirt gets into the door jams and into the car. Any comments on non off road experience is appreciated as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 211
I have a temporary front mudflap solution and I installed Xpel rocker panel PPF in the lower rear corners of my rear doors, and this seemed to cut down on both debris from the front wheels, and damage from stones thrown from the front wheels that are not blocked by the mud flaps. I'm not driving on any unpaved roads or anything, but almost 500 miles and I haven't got the type of spray across my doors that you have in your pics.

Found: Front mud flaps that fit without trimming

I had the same thing on my white long range model Y after driving around for a bit (<100 miles). The black spots are kind of greasy. I suspect it's from the tire shine. The factory applied crap loads of it on the tires. After my first car wash, I don't get those spots anymore. I think it's probably wise to put on some mud flaps or PPF on the doors in the long run given the spray pattern.

So I've had the my LR Y and driven it for about 100 miles. I was horrified to see how dirty the car got!! I don't remember any of my other cars (sports cars and SUVs) getting so dirty so quickly before.

I'm in SoCal. It's been dry here for quite some time. I don't recall driving through any puddles of any sort (perhaps, but doubt it). I'm considering applying PFF on these panels. If it gets so dirty, wouldn't it be more susceptible to rock chips?

I'm just curious to see what other owners who have had the car for a bit and have washed their cars have experienced.

I did see a video on this forum with the guy driving in the dirt road where a lot of dirt gets into the door jams and into the car. Any comments on non off road experience is appreciated as well.
My guess is that all that "crap" on your MY is spin-off from the excessive tire dressing that the Delivery Center slops on. I imagine that once the dressing evaporates or wears off, the "dirtiness" will calm down a bit.