Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y- Super Dirty Car immediately after car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what kind of wash is it? Is it hand wash? or machine washed? Most good hand washed places blow out the air using a hand blower. I use my leaf blower when i clean my car. I am sure the mud spots are being kicked off your tires that are not totally dried.

These vehicles/Teslas are the easiest to clean and maintain that I have ever owned
Totally agree. Body surfaces are relatively flat or straight, and minimum nooks, crevices or trim pieces for water to be caught in and expelled later.

Maybe OP might want to use different car wash products. I use Chemical Guys and am done hand washing/drying in 30 mins. Don’t even need a leaf blower. Sure, there’s a little water in the Uberturbine wheels but nothing that causes more dirt to spray up.

Good luck with this!!

Reactions: Pianewman
Totally agree. Body surfaces are relatively flat or straight, and minimum nooks, crevices or trim pieces for water to be caught in and expelled later.

Maybe OP might want to use different car wash products. I use Chemical Guys and am done hand washing/drying in 30 mins. Don’t even need a leaf blower. Sure, there’s a little water in the Uberturbine wheels but nothing that causes more dirt to spray up.

Good luck with this!!
30 minutes? Damn thats fast. It takes me 2 hours in and out and my car is ceramic coated lol

Maybe lol
Everyone has their own preferred methods and tools.
Thorough hand washes, usually the 2-bucket method, with a hose to rinse, and good towels to dry, shouldn't take but 30 minutes.
If you have a pressure washer, and a foam cannon, that time can be even less. So access to the right tools matter.
Product quality does matter as well. I've always sworn by Meguiars. But I also use the new Turtle Wax graphene line.
And ONR is the absolute best for no rinse at home washes. Just 1 bucket needed. No hose.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Everyone has their own preferred methods and tools.
Thorough hand washes, usually the 2-bucket method, with a hose to rinse, and good towels to dry, shouldn't take but 30 minutes.
If you have a pressure washer, and a foam cannon, that time can be even less. So access to the right tools matter.
Product quality does matter as well. I've always sworn by Meguiars. But I also use the new Turtle Wax graphene line.
And ONR is the absolute best for no rinse at home washes. Just 1 bucket needed. No hose.
It does take me 2 hours. I do wash each wheel by hand and even inside the wheels, scrub the tires, body moldings and use the two bucket system. But i wash each section at a time, final rinse, squeegee the the glass and blow all the water out. SIO2 final spray, interior vacuum and spray and wipe the interior.

My car is ceramic coated but, the the car stays clean for almost 3 weeks, including the tire shine which last about 3 weeks. my coworkers think i take it to the car wash everyday.

I will post the pictures as soon as I can but @johnnycnote you will have to wait for cybertruck to be launched to get your piano wish fulfilled.
Cars gets dirty all the time and this post is not complaining about the dirt getting accumulated after regular driving.
Is it actually dirty, or are you seeing chips in the paint that looks like dirt? If you could post the pictures so we could see what it looks like and where it is maybe we would have a better chance of providing useful input.

What type of car wash are you using? IME using a touchless car wash on a Tesla doesn't work well at all. The type of paint that Tesla uses - which is a ceramic based paint that is more environmentally friendly - doesn't release dirt and grime as easily as most other paints on other OEM vehicles. The fanboy base will tell you to use the two bucket method and never to run your Tesla through a traditional car wash. This may have been true ten years ago on the MS/MXs early on, but it's not as true these days. The newer Tesla vehicles have a stronger clear coat than in times past. I use a local self car wash with the open bays with high pressure washers and a foaming cannon/brush. No issues at all - just ensure you're using a foaming brush or a microfiber mitt or sponge, etc., something to actually take the dirt off of the paint surface.

I've had the exact same issue you describe when only using a touchless car wash or only using a high pressure wand and not actually using a foam brush/cannon/microfiber mitt/etc. If you aren't contacting the surface with something to help release the dirt - it's not going to come off easily. The other route to go is to spend thousands of dollars on PPF/CC for the whole vehicle. A compromise would be to have a good CC applied - which will form a barrier that will much more easily release dirt and grime when compared to only the clear coat from the factory.

It does take me 2 hours. I do wash each wheel by hand and even inside the wheels, scrub the tires, body moldings and use the two bucket system. But i wash each section at a time, final rinse, squeegee the the glass and blow all the water out. SIO2 final spray, interior vacuum and spray and wipe the interior.

My car is ceramic coated but, the the car stays clean for almost 3 weeks, including the tire shine which last about 3 weeks. my coworkers think i take it to the car wash everyday.
Props on the thoroughness!
Yeah, the rims/tires do add quite a bit of time. So much surface area.
Have you tried adding a bit of ONR to your bucket? It can save some rinsing time since it should allow for skipping some rinse steps.

I count the interior as separate time, as I don't always do both.

What tire shine do you use? I've had similar lasting luck with Meguiar's Endurance tire gel.

Props on the thoroughness!
Yeah, the rims/tires do add quite a bit of time. So much surface area.
Have you tried adding a bit of ONR to your bucket? It can save some rinsing time since it should allow for skipping some rinse steps.

I count the interior as separate time, as I don't always do both.

What tire shine do you use? I've had similar lasting luck with Meguiar's Endurance tire gel.
Rims are ceramic coated and i use PH balance soap to clean the wheels.

For the tire shine, I use Chemical Brothers VRP. But when i put it on, I know that i wont be driving for a few hours and leave it into the sun for the VRP to stick on real well. It helps with no SLING.

I've been detailing my own cars since I got first car. Love it when its super cleaned and shine. Such a head turner when it just sits there

IMG_9768.jpeg

Hello Everyone... I was finally able to figure out the reason for the dirty watermarks.

Looks like the tires were heavily coated with black chemical adhesive( tesla installed) to give it a shine . Every time I used to take the car for a wash, this paint used to come out --in bits and parts-- on the rims of the wheel ( figured this out by removing the wheel covers ) . As there were covers on the rim, never noticed the black liquid on the interior of the rim ( on the wheel) and this was what was thrown on the side panels and the mirror making the car super dirty after the wash.

Have to either clean the wheels with a paper towel wiping off the black residual all over the wheel or let the car dry .

Thanks everyone for the suggestion and the contribution to this forum.

Rims are ceramic coated and i use PH balance soap to clean the wheels.

For the tire shine, I use Chemical Brothers VRP. But when i put it on, I know that i wont be driving for a few hours and leave it into the sun for the VRP to stick on real well. It helps with no SLING.

I've been detailing my own cars since I got first car. Love it when its super cleaned and shine. Such a head turner when it just sits there

View attachment 959912
Nice!

Yeah, I always put on the tire gel last in my garage once I'm in for the night, so it has the whole overnight to set.

Hello Everyone... I was finally able to figure out the reason for the dirty watermarks.

Looks like the tires were heavily coated with black chemical adhesive( tesla installed) to give it a shine . Every time I used to take the car for a wash, this paint used to come out --in bits and parts-- on the rims of the wheel ( figured this out by removing the wheel covers ) . As there were covers on the rim, never noticed the black liquid on the interior of the rim ( on the wheel) and this was what was thrown on the side panels and the mirror making the car super dirty after the wash.

Have to either clean the wheels with a paper towel wiping off the black residual all over the wheel or let the car dry .

Thanks everyone for the suggestion and the contribution to this forum.
Glad you found the issue! People were giving you a hard time, but I thought it must be something atypical.

I've gone through many tire dressings, and I've landed on Chemical Guys VRP for my tires. It's a deep, dark black (not too shiny) that makes the tires look nice, stays for awhile, and doesn't sling crap all over the place like you experienced.

I have also found this product out of Japan:

I used it on brand new tires, on both inner and outer side walls as a sealant of sorts. It's not a shine product, more for protection from UV and general longevity of the tire. Works really well if you don't want that wet look. Very natural finish.
And it lasts a long time.
In fact, even after I thought it had worn off, I tried to put another product on the tires but that one still didn't stick well.

• Helpful
Car washes don’t always thoroughly dry your car (not enough time, etc), and if you don’t towel dry the vehicle afterwards - it picks up dirt easily. This isn’t unique to a Tesla, but the back of the vehicle doesn’t get very dry thru most of the local touchless car washes. If I get a touchless car wash, I won’t hand dry it afterwards because there could be dirt left behind. So I assume the back of the car will look dirty, relatively soon (especially if I hop on a highway or 55MPH road).

Then as others report, car washes might leave a residue on your exterior trim. I have come to the conclusion that a car wash is only getting the car exterior “mostly clean”, but it won’t look the way you want it to.