Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Cell phone connection in my 2022 MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paired my phone when purchased the car although I didn’t set up the car to make / receive calls until later. I hadn’t used it much lately but I noticed that after being connected to some one for maybe a minute or less there seems to be a connection issue that causes a break up with words and then finally I loose the connection. The other person also notices the clarity issue. Sometimes they can still hear me but I can’t hear them. I don’t think this was an issue in the past, only more recently.

Troubleshooting this I tried the following. I turned off the phone’s Bluetooth connection and found the issue continues when using the phone directly. When using the phone in my Yukon I don’t seem to have a problem with the phone directly but the Yukon isn’t Bluetooth compatible so i can’t try that part. I can also connect fine out of vehicles or via Wi-Fi or cellular at home. It’s almost like the Tesla is causing the interference.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Interesting, I just received an update over the weekend and then when I tried to play a podcast via bluetooth today it sounded like it was playing at 1/4 speed and underwater. This happened both times I drove today, then I switched over to my headphones and the podcast played fine. Also the rest of the normal FM radio sounded fine. So I suspect something happened with the latest update that caused an issue with my bluetooth.

Upvote 0
Interesting, I just received an update over the weekend and then when I tried to play a podcast via bluetooth today it sounded like it was playing at 1/4 speed and underwater. This happened both times I drove today, then I switched over to my headphones and the podcast played fine. Also the rest of the normal FM radio sounded fine. So I suspect something happened with the latest update that caused an issue with my bluetooth.
Answering my own issue based on some youtube research. I just performed a screen reset by pressing down the two buttons on the steering wheel for about 10 seconds, waited for it to reboot and all is well now. 👍

Upvote 0
I paired my phone when purchased the car although I didn’t set up the car to make / receive calls until later. I hadn’t used it much lately but I noticed that after being connected to some one for maybe a minute or less there seems to be a connection issue that causes a break up with words and then finally I loose the connection. The other person also notices the clarity issue. Sometimes they can still hear me but I can’t hear them. I don’t think this was an issue in the past, only more recently.

Troubleshooting this I tried the following. I turned off the phone’s Bluetooth connection and found the issue continues when using the phone directly. When using the phone in my Yukon I don’t seem to have a problem with the phone directly but the Yukon isn’t Bluetooth compatible so i can’t try that part. I can also connect fine out of vehicles or via Wi-Fi or cellular at home. It’s almost like the Tesla is causing the interference.

Anyone else having a similar issue?
Maybe you had the phone sitting in the charging tray, buried under the dashboard and the cell phone signal is being attenuated because of that? Try moving the phone to the top of your dashboard or just holding it up in the air and see if it works better when you have a bad connection caused by a marginal signal.

I'm pretty disappointed by how poorly the wireless charging supplies power; if the display on the phone is on, it doesn't even keep the battery from discharging. Fire up Waze and run the GPS in the phone and you're losing ground pretty quickly. So back to a wired charging solution and finding a mount for the phone so I can see it. And also provide it a better wireless cell signal, too.

Upvote 0
Maybe you had the phone sitting in the charging tray, buried under the dashboard and the cell phone signal is being attenuated because of that? Try moving the phone to the top of your dashboard or just holding it up in the air and see if it works better when you have a bad connection caused by a marginal signal.

I'm pretty disappointed by how poorly the wireless charging supplies power; if the display on the phone is on, it doesn't even keep the battery from discharging. Fire up Waze and run the GPS in the phone and you're losing ground pretty quickly. So back to a wired charging solution and finding a mount for the phone so I can see it. And also provide it a better wireless cell signal, too.
I thought about that too. Holding it up or putting it in my shirt pocket didn’t help. I think I remember seeing my phone saying “fast charging”, I need to double check.

Upvote 0