Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Researchers find a clever way to hack into and steal your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting article. I have been having issues when my MYP automatically connects to the super charger's Wi-Fi network when supercharging. It interrupts my viewing session and as such I disable Wi-Fi on the vehicle to force it to use the cellular network instead.

Also, as a work-around if you have a hot spot option on your phone you could have the vehicle connect to your phone instead of a public network, thus avoiding this potential scenario.

Researchers Find a Clever Way to Hack Into and Steal Your Tesla (businessinsider.com)

Video of the hack

It's not really hacking into your Tesla though is it?
It's a form of identity theft. The car itself or the app won't use the guest WiFi network unless the owner tells it to by entering their credentials.
If they are fooled into selecting the wrong network, it's a mistake on their part but the car hasn't been 'hacked'.
Still not good, but as is often the case Business Insider uses a clickbait headline to get more clicks.

Reactions: uxixu and Nvbob
It's not really hacking into your Tesla though is it?
It's a form of identity theft. The car itself or the app won't use the guest WiFi network unless the owner tells it to by entering their credentials.
If they are fooled into selecting the wrong network, it's a mistake on their part but the car hasn't been 'hacked'.
Still not good, but as is often the case Business Insider uses a clickbait headline to get more clicks.
Correct. It's a social engineering hack. Who doesn't love things that are "free"? It really boils down to end-user education which should now be a norm and should also be taught at schools as this is the future with bad actors always looking for the next easy way to fool someone.

Reactions: Nvbob