Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Delivery / Lease Return Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I just came to the end of a lease on a 2019 MX Long Range. I ordered a 2023 MS Plaid in July. I gave the RN to the Tesla Loyalty guy and asked please have it so I can return the car on the same day I pick up the new one. No problem he say and he puts the order on hold.

Come November I’m waiting for Tesla to inspect my MX when my VIN is assigned. I compete the steps and within 2 days they are asking me to pick up the car. I explain I have a MX to return can you please help with getting the inspection scheduled. They tell me NO they can’t help I just email the lease return people again.

I finally get an inspection date scheduled after me sending an email to them literally everyday for about a week. I get that done and now I try to pick a date for lease return and delivery. Only I can’t get the same day. I ask the Tesla Loyalty guy for help he says he can’t. That’s how the system is and suggests I just do it in two different days. I say no I don’t want to do it that way the Tesla Center is an hour away from me by car.

My MS ends up being canceled because I didn’t pick a date on time on the app. I ask the loyalty guy if this can be fixed, again no. He suggests I simply order a new car. But now I’m less than a month from lease maturation date. So I end up ordering a Demo Model S that was sitting at my nearest Tesla location. I speak with the loyalty guy again who this time assured me that my MS will be ready by lease return. I go through and get financing now a second time because the price is slightly different w/ a Different color and interior.

I get both lease return and delivery scheduled on the app for the same day. I show up at Tesla with my MX to return only to be told the car isn’t ready and they won’t let me take my MX back home as that would take me past lease maturation. So now I’m forced to Uber home at a cost of $85. And now today only two days later they are asking me to set a delivery date again. No explication as to why the MS wasn’t ready 2 days ago when it was supposed to be. And on top of all of it Tesla is charging me a $395 lease disposition fee even though they said they’d wave it because I’m getting another Tesla.

Sorry if this was long, but I’m a bit frustrated. I honestly love the cars, but the customer service is so bad I’m considering not getting the MS. I was brand loyal to Audi for 9 years across 3 cars prior to getting my Model X. It’s night and day. I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever had a good experience anytime I’ve had to deal with Tesla. Love the cars but hate the company.

Personally, knowing Tesla and reading so many similar stories here on TMC, I would have never tried to schedule these things for the same day, since Tesla dates *always* change for dozens of reasons (or no reasons at all).

I would have just schedule them as best as possible and done two round trips, even if that was an Uber (that they SHOULD have comped you for). Or have a friend/family member drive you. An hour isn't that bad of a drive and it would have saved you the hassle, frustration, and aggravation.

I have found that most all transactions with Tesla are on their timetable and their terms. The company is so bureaucratic, it will beat most any government for red tape and hassle to their end customers, often for no reason. No flexibility. No Deals. Nothing done by due date.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Currently in a similar *sugar* show with my lease turn in and pick up of a model y with Arden Tesla. Been getting the run around from the lease team being told I was only responsible for remaining payments then later being told I have to pay the early termination fee which is 4x the amount i owe on lease, then finally getting in touch with a loyalty expert who supposedly is taking car of it. On top of that I was assigned a vin on 2/8 and scheduled delivery of my new car on 2/13. just today on 2/12 I get a call saying my car hasn’t been delivered from Dublin Tesla yet. Amazing how they can drop the ball on something so simple as transporting a car on 5 day head notice and call me the night before saying there is no exact eta on when it would come and asked if I wanted to drive to pick it up which is a 2hr drive each way. They clearly aren’t don’t have their *sugar* together

They are a total and complete disaster in every respect. They could not do worse if they tried. The moment I realize I have to do anything with Tesla, as a company, I need something for acid reflux. Be that service, loan documents mess up, delivery experience mess up, etc. It never fails. The only good things is, you do not need to deal with them very often compared to an ICE car. But when you do, expect the worst! Having said that, I just ordered another one. What a total love and hate relationship this car is. Seriously.

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I just came to the end of a lease on a 2019 MX Long Range. I ordered a 2023 MS Plaid in July. I gave the RN to the Tesla Loyalty guy and asked please have it so I can return the car on the same day I pick up the new one. No problem he say and he puts the order on hold.

Come November I’m waiting for Tesla to inspect my MX when my VIN is assigned. I compete the steps and within 2 days they are asking me to pick up the car. I explain I have a MX to return can you please help with getting the inspection scheduled. They tell me NO they can’t help I just email the lease return people again.

I finally get an inspection date scheduled after me sending an email to them literally everyday for about a week. I get that done and now I try to pick a date for lease return and delivery. Only I can’t get the same day. I ask the Tesla Loyalty guy for help he says he can’t. That’s how the system is and suggests I just do it in two different days. I say no I don’t want to do it that way the Tesla Center is an hour away from me by car.

My MS ends up being canceled because I didn’t pick a date on time on the app. I ask the loyalty guy if this can be fixed, again no. He suggests I simply order a new car. But now I’m less than a month from lease maturation date. So I end up ordering a Demo Model S that was sitting at my nearest Tesla location. I speak with the loyalty guy again who this time assured me that my MS will be ready by lease return. I go through and get financing now a second time because the price is slightly different w/ a Different color and interior.

I get both lease return and delivery scheduled on the app for the same day. I show up at Tesla with my MX to return only to be told the car isn’t ready and they won’t let me take my MX back home as that would take me past lease maturation. So now I’m forced to Uber home at a cost of $85. And now today only two days later they are asking me to set a delivery date again. No explication as to why the MS wasn’t ready 2 days ago when it was supposed to be. And on top of all of it Tesla is charging me a $395 lease disposition fee even though they said they’d wave it because I’m getting another Tesla.

Sorry if this was long, but I’m a bit frustrated. I honestly love the cars, but the customer service is so bad I’m considering not getting the MS. I was brand loyal to Audi for 9 years across 3 cars prior to getting my Model X. It’s night and day. I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever had a good experience anytime I’ve had to deal with Tesla. Love the cars but hate the company.
All they want to do is to take your money.
Very unskilled employees at all their locations.