Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poorly Designed Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you like the TSTs over gemini/induction wheels? Do you get better range/efficiency with them?
I had the Uberturbine 21s. I've been running Martian 19s over the winter and efficiency was maybe 3% worse than the 21s before the weather got cold. I can't really compare cold weather efficiency of the 21s because I never tested them in the cold. The TSTs are on now, I'll have some efficiency comparison numbers once it warms up just a little bit more.

So far pretty good, outside of some additive resonance happening at ~43mph and ~78mph. I think this is related to my tire choice though. I'm still investigating however.

The slightly increased power efficiency is noticeable though...
Interesting. The martians had a resonance at 65-70 mph. My stock 21s were silent. I just got the TSTs on. Not quite warm enough to check efficiency, but my first impression is they're going to tie the 21s was really hoping for a bit better, but we'll see when it warms up a little. I did all of my testing with the 21s at 60-65 degrees, and we're not quite there yet. I can say no resonance at all with the TSTs.

Interesting. The martians had a resonance at 65-70 mph. My stock 21s were silent. I just got the TSTs on. Not quite warm enough to check efficiency, but my first impression is they're going to tie the 21s was really hoping for a bit better, but we'll see when it warms up a little. I did all of my testing with the 21s at 60-65 degrees, and we're not quite there yet. I can say no resonance at all with the TSTs.

That's crazy that people are spending all that money with TSportline and I keep reading about resonance-type problems. The wheel/tire packages look so appealing on their website, but I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Agree with others, it is nothing to do with rim, it is everything to do with tire size and aerodynamics. If they went with a narrower rim you’d have less rash but probably less range. Same for the same rims but wider tread width. Always a trade off But don’t blame the rims.

Has anyone actually provided evidence that this is due to the rims?

Air-filled rubber and steel-lined tires will distort WAAAAYY before forged aluminium. I think that bicycle wheels and tires would also exhibit resonance due to using softer rolled aluminium rims and light non-steel lined tires. I've never heard of any cyclist mentioning resonance from their rims. Note that professionals that race Tour de France go extremely fast on the downhills.

That's crazy that people are spending all that money with TSportline and I keep reading about resonance-type problems. The wheel/tire packages look so appealing on their website, but I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

It’s worth noting that in my experience Tesla has zero tolerance curb rash policy on lease returns. I had relatively minor one inch scrape on my Model X 22” wheels due to turn the tire into the curb, not actually moving. Tesla charged me for a new rim on return! Or at least that was the wear and tear explanation, since it was the only damage to the vehicle. They also charged me for new tires that were replaced at an SC prior to return. Imagine my surprise with at $4k lease return bill.

FWIW, I’m running 265/35 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the front that offer marginal protection over the OEM 255/35 Pirelli P Zero. So far there has been no range hit with wider front tires. It may have made the rear door debris kick up worse though.

What kind of engineer would design an expensive wheel that has it's edge on the same plane as the tire's sidewall? With these wheels, if you touch a cement curb even for one second while barely moving during parking, your wheel's finish is toast. Tires should prevent this. Vey poor design. Very unhappy.

Rant over.
After tearing up almost all my rims on my S even with wheel bands... I would have liked to have seen this fixed on the Y inductions. But after 8+ years of this being an issue I'm not thinking that will happen

Why is this? Totally curious. I am planning on getting 19” TSV’s for my MY and using the Gemini’s for winter.

Just another reason I'm glad I decided to go with the 19s. I really like the way the 20"/21" wheels look but I like cheaper tires/better ride so the lower risk of curb rash is just another reason to stick with the 19s. Personally I would like it even more if you could get the 18s on the Y from the factory since I might be weird but I like the look of a thick tire and I bet that 18s would improve the ride even more.

Reactions: RyFreddy
It's not a Tesla thing, happens on a wide variety of vehicles. It's a combination of the current fad of black convex rims+low profile performance tires and the driver hitting the curb. One of the reviewers recently noted that convex black rims now come on minivans so hopefully the fad is going to wane. It's the main reason I stuck with the Gemini, had too much damage to both the tires and the rims on my BMW. It's easy to overlook if the rims aren't black, can't unsee it if they are.