Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popping Noise When Turning/Going Over Bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case this is helpful, here is what my service invoice noted:

Clunking noise under car like large metal plate is buckling when the car flexes
(i.e. entering a steep driveway where one front wheel goes up hill first and
bends the car).
Verified customer concern. Found noise to be coming from metal underneath
the passenger side foot well floorboard. Technician removed the two bolts at
that location and applied high strength epoxy as needed to strengthen bond
between the overlapped sheet metal. Replaced and torqued bolts. Replaced
the floorboard and carpeting. Removed the battery pack and applied high
strength epoxy to the underside of the same area. Reinstalled battery pack and
torqued to normal specifications. Test drove to confirm that the popping sound
is gone. Vehicle is operating as expected at this time.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
SEAL,PERIMETER,PENTHOUSE,MDL3
(1467057-00-B)

BOLT,HF,M14-2.0x120,[109],ZNFL,SMAT
(1447684-00-A)

BOLT,HF,M12x40,STL[109],ZN,ADH,MAT
(1117252-00-A)

BRACKET - PLASTIC (1111033-00-D)

Reactions: Mtl_T3sla
For about the last week my AWD Model 3 has sometimes made a popping noise when turning sharply or going over speed bumps. It doesn’t always happen but more often then not it will. It also happens more often when turning while going up or down an incline (like in a parking garage).

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I'm Having exactly the same problem and when i went to tesla they told me the parts in the car are fluctuating and they can't do anything about it, but it is annoying because sometimes the noise is too loud and i feel the popping noise under my feet and its scary and feels like you hit something under the car.

I'm Having exactly the same problem and when i went to tesla they told me the parts in the car are fluctuating and they can't do anything about it, but it is annoying because sometimes the noise is too loud and i feel the popping noise under my feet and its scary and feels like you hit something under the car.
That sounds more like the battery heating changes. That will create some rather impressive thuds. Suspension should not.

My Model 3 has a loud noise which I am pretty sure is from the right side rear inner fender liner. As the shock allows the spinning tire to jump when it hits a road defect it catches the lip where the liners overlap, bending it. The noise is caused when it snaps back. Flipping the overlap seems to have eliminated it.

Similar issue with my 2020. Axle clicking and popping while turning at slow speeds. LF axle shaft was replaced not too long ago for clicking but that noise has returned. In my years of automotive experience the popping sounds like a ball joint and/or control arm bushing issue. I know there are threads here where people's cars have had control arm replacement.

In my area Tesla is still not allowing service techs in vehicles with customers for road tests. Not good customer service since they can road test without me. I'm upset about the issues with a new low mileage car so hopefully the suspension issues get resolved with the next SC trip. It's already been 2 trips.