Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popping noise (windshield?) when car turns on - this can't be normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this exact same problem. When the car has been sitting in the hot sun and when the AC kicks on the popping occurs. It happens when hitting bumps or any vibration within the car. I was able to isolate the problem and interestingly enough, when you push on the material on the pillars on either side of the windshield the popping or cracking sound is actually coming out of the small tweeter speakers above the windows. I couldn't believe it at first. It happens more so on the right side then left. When the AC is on all i have to do is push on the material on the pillars and i get a consistent popping. As others have said once temperatures stabilizes it goes away. This gets me thinking that the speaker wire connection may either be loose and the draw of the AC may be causing an electrical phenomenon so when the wire is disturbed it sending popping or a rattle sound out of the speaker. I don't believe the speaker itself is loose since the sound actually sounds like a sound coming from the speaker itself sort of like when you plug in a microphone to an amp. I'll continue to search forums online to see if anyone else has this issue.

my car has this problem, it just started at around 6 months of age. I thought it was coming from the speakers on the front passenger side, it does it for approximately 5 mins when driving after the car has been at rest for a few hours. The service centre have remotely looked at the logs on the car but I still need to take it to a service appointment next week. I described it as a clicking or ticking sound, Tesla service didn't immediately recognise what I was talking about so I guess it isn't common. This will be the second warranty service visit in the first 9 months.