Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Port Door Broken, Made Appointment, Now Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our charge port door failed to open, acting like this:

It also wouldn't close unless I pushed it closed.

I made an appointment to have it fixed. The car's at 48,000 miles, and they will fix it for free.

But today it started working again. I assume I should still go and have it replaced??

Thought this was about a left side door. Well, I guess the charge port is on the port side so the title isn’t wrong.

I’ve had a number of minor issues with the charge port door and, like yours, they’ve all resolved themselves in one way or another. I know that debris can get in there and manually pushing against the motor can eventually cause slippage, not to mention time and use based degradation, so certainly wouldn’t rule out a mechanical problem even if it’s intermittent. Keep the appointment and show them the vid (can that be attached to the appointment in app?).

Mobile service should be able to replace this, I had my charge port replaced this way due to a similar issue, replaced under warranty.

Note if you find it won't open and you want to charge you can gently "help" it open until you get it fixed. It does make a lot of noise but doesn't seem to hurt it.