Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible retrieval of computer logs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyway to get the Infotainment log from the tesla? Such time stamp when sentry mode clips was deleted?

I sent my car to body shop to repair a scratch, end up different parts of car body getting damaged during the process. The shop completely deny their doing, but I was able to retrieve some sentry clip from the USB drive from deletions (not all of it)

Wonder if there is a time stamp log I can show that they deleted the data?

Reactions: rickyjb
This likely would be of limited use, if it was available. A malicious actor could have simply disconnected the drive from the vehicle and plugged it into a laptop or desktop computer and deleted the files from there. It's a lot easier to parse/view the video files on a real computer instead of the built-in display. If the file was deleted elsewhere, there wouldn't be any logs.

Upvote 0
This likely would be of limited use, if it was available. A malicious actor could have simply disconnected the drive from the vehicle and plugged it into a laptop or desktop computer and deleted the files from there. It's a lot easier to parse/view the video files on a real computer instead of the built-in display. If the file was deleted elsewhere, there wouldn't be any logs.

I am trying to get the exact time stamp when the "delete" action was done by the user, so I can at least have proof that the body shop did in fact tried to delete sentry clips during the time in shop. I did try to use the program and recovered some of the clips from deletion, but not all of them were usable though.

Did Sentry Mode trigger an alarm event while your car was in the shop? (Not an alert event.) The video for the last alarm event is stored in the car’s memory and can be downloaded from there.

Sentry mode somehow didn't trigger any alarm, could be due to service mode was activated.

Upvote 0
Service mode indeed disables sentry.

OP, do you have reason to believe the car even logs the delete? Maybe it does, but I would worry that you're chasing something that never existed.

I was able to recover the deleted videos while the car was in the shop from the USB flash drive. Unless car somehow deleted all these clips itself, Or somehow these are temp clips generated by the MCU, otherwise it doesn’t make sense these video even exist in first place.

Upvote 0
I was able to recover the deleted videos while the car was in the shop from the USB flash drive. Unless car somehow deleted all these clips itself, Or somehow these are temp clips generated by the MCU, otherwise it doesn’t make sense these video even exist in first place.
Were the clips you recovered in the SentryClips folder or elsewhere? If they moved the car around, I would still except to see clips in RecentClips, but nothing (new) should be in SentryClips unless Sentry Mode was enabled.

Upvote 0

I never thought about this until you just forced me to... does the car constantly write video to the USB and then delete it if there's no sentry event? That's plausible.

Upvote 0
Were the clips you recovered in the SentryClips folder or elsewhere? If they moved the car around, I would still except to see clips in RecentClips, but nothing (new) should be in SentryClips unless Sentry Mode was enabled.

It's nowhere to be found in sentryclip or recent clip, and cannot be found even with a computer. The file only shows up after I use recovery program to retrieve all the deleted data. Under normal circumstances, the deletion of a file is just mark the registry as empty, and it can be rediscover as long as the sector isn't overwritten yet.

I never thought about this until you just forced me to... does the car constantly write video to the USB and then delete it if there's no sentry event? That's plausible.

It appears to be so, since there is usually a text file associate with sentry clip on event and timestamp of triggering. None of those deleted clips have associated text file. So most likely the system did a continuous write process and delete upon no trigger point.

Reactions: TunaBug
Upvote 0
It appears to be so, since there is usually a text file associate with sentry clip on event and timestamp of triggering. None of those deleted clips have associated text file. So most likely the system did a continuous write process and delete upon no trigger point.
Not exactly. I believe whenever the dashcam is running, whether while driving or in Sentry Mode, footage is saved in RecentClips. If a Sentry event occurs, the last 10 minutes of video is moved (not copied) from RecentClips to SentryClips. Similarly, when you save dashcam footage, the last 10 minutes is moved from RecentClips to SavedClips.

Reactions: TunaBug
Upvote 0