Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to charge one Tesla from another?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently only from someone who has installed an inverter connected to 12 volt and then it would be only 4 miles per hour. Your chances of running across a Tesla owner in your time of need who has done this adaptation is worse than lottery odds. As far as DC to DC, an adapter has not been made available to the general public and versions I have seen are quite expensive.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
Don't count on being able to be towed if your battery goes to zero. I went to zero, and quickly exited the freeway, knowing that there was a surface street with 4 miles of downhill that I was going to use to charge the battery. (I will interject that I had an extra mile to get home, but road construction blocked off my exit and I had to continue to the next exit on an uphill freeway). I made the left turn off the exit ramp pointing downhill to start the regen, and the car just kept accelerating. The 12v battery had also gotten so low that there was no energy left to run the regen... I plugged into an exterior 120 outlet at the local AAA and waited 4 hours for the battery to get one mile of charge. The phantom range has to be replaced before the battery will show a mile. If towing was the only way to charge your car and your 12v battery is drained, you probably could jump the 12 volt battery with a 12 v battery in the frunk and jumper cables.

• Informative
Reactions: Kuhz and Puddles