Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging 2 x Teslas on one Zappi charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a Tesla EV and a Zappi charger at home. I am on Intelligent Octopus Go tariff so that I can charge my Tesla at night time on the low tariff rate.

I’m thinking of getting another Tesla EV for my wife. Is it possible to charge the new Tesla with the same Zappi charger on different nights?

My answer won’t be directly relevant to you unfortunately, but multi EV charging isn’t good enough yet and I expect you will have to compromise on ‘smart’ charging aspects.

I have disabled any schedules and disconnected the Tesla API from the smart charger (in my case an Ohme pro which just has the larger battery car manually selected) and it just charges anything as soon as it’s plugged in until it’s told to stop. It appears to assume it’s the 3P plugged in at 0% and needs to charge to 100%. I have the Ovo tariff that gives me 7p charging anytime - I don’t need to have any offpeak timings.

So, the cars do it all, essentially only needing to tell the Ohme to stop charging at x%

Yes, you can use the same charger on different nights, but IO will only work with YOUR Tesla IF IO is linked to the car rather than the charger. If IO is linked to the Zappi, then IO will work for both.
If IO is linked to your Tesla, then your wife's car will need to have a schedule set in the standard IO off-peak times, and won't have any smart charge abilities or extra hours at off-peak.

Reactions: Fluff
I currently have a Tesla EV and a Zappi charger at home. I am on Intelligent Octopus Go tariff so that I can charge my Tesla at night time on the low tariff rate.

I’m thinking of getting another Tesla EV for my wife. Is it possible to charge the new Tesla with the same Zappi charger on different nights?

Im going to assume that the zappi is what is attached to IOG.

Unless you are both doing some silly mileage, yes more that doable even if your both on the same time frames work wise.

The answer is yes.

I’m on Intelligence Octopus Go and have a zappi charger. I now link the charger to Octopus, rather than the car. My wife has a Peugeot E2008 which was not originally compatible with tariff.

The difference with the zappi is you set the percentage you want to add through IO, rather than charge to a set percentage. When linking the Zappi to IO, I also had to add the car, I think this is set the battery size. When my wife charges her car, the battery is roughly 63% of the Telsa battery (50/79). I imagine it would be easier if the batteries were the similar sizes.

When my wife charges her car, the battery is roughly 63% of the Telsa battery (50/79). I imagine it would be easier if the batteries were the similar sizes.
Always pick the car with the biggest battery and 100% charge on the Octopus app will give you the best results with multiple cars with different battery sizes.