Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible WiFi Issues (Asus Router)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the features I was looking forward to testing when I downloaded V9 (2018.39.6) three weeks ago was the "Use HOV Lanes". However, the latest version of the maps still hasn't been downloaded to my Model S (AP2.0, MCU1). I assumed this was simply due to my car not yet being "selected" as part of some roll-out. However, I am starting to question whether perhaps my Asus RT-68U Router is actually preventing my vehicle from communicating to Tesla (the vehicle is connected to my WiFi every night).

I came across the following web page, which indicates it may be required to unblock VPN connections for port 1194 or increase the UDP timeouts:
WiFi Guide and Troubleshooter for Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap

However, I was unable to find the correct settings page to set those up for my Asus Router.

Does anyone have success on verifying their Tesla is actually connected to WiFi properly or ideas on how to possible fix the VPN connection?

Double check your address scheme, don't use 192.168.20.0/24 because that is what Tesla uses for their VPN to the car. Also, check what other devices are on your network, some devices will cause interference issues like the Wink hub. Best bet would be to use your router to setup a guest network and connect your car to that. I did that and it solved all my issues.

Reactions: .jg. and MIT_S60
Double check your address scheme, don't use 192.168.20.0/24 because that is what Tesla uses for their VPN to the car. Also, check what other devices are on your network, some devices will cause interference issues like the Wink hub. Best bet would be to use your router to setup a guest network and connect your car to that. I did that and it solved all my issues.
I use an Amazon Echo Plus for my hub, but I'll try out the guest network tonight. I did leave my car connected to my phone's hotspot last night to see if it would make a difference, but it doesn't seem like it did. Maybe more likely my WiFi is working fine and my car just hasn't gotten tagged to receive the maps update. I wish Tesla would have a way to verify the car can connect to their WiFi properly.

I have a RT-AC68U as well. Of course you know you can set up "AImesh" with another compatible Asus router? I bought a RT-AC66U (considerably cheaper than the 68, but compatible with AImesh) and installed it in the garage right next to the Tesla passenger side door. The 68 is used for the primary router and the 66 is the node. AiMesh works like other mesh networking system. It will use the optimum frequency band - either 2.4GHz or 5GHz - for backhaul data transmission to relay data from your primary router and across nodes to your client device. When using a tri-band ASUS router, it will try to use 5GHz network for backhaul communications since the 5GHz network is faster. However, if your home has a LAN network in place or if you don’t mind a long Ethernet cable running through your home, you can also connect the AiMesh router to the AiMesh node via Ethernet. In this mode, the routers will use the Ethernet connection for backhaul communication, which will free up the wireless network. Your modem is connected to the WAN input on the primary router (68). Connect your primary to node with cat5e, or cat6 with the cable going from one of the LAN connections on the primary (68) to the WAN connection of the node (66). A google search should show many videos on how to accomplish this and Asus has them as well.

Reactions: MIT_S60