Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post-2021 chrome delete with the new OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know if the new dark trim (around windows, door handles, cameras, trunk, etc) will be the same dimensions as the chrome parts on pre 2021 Model S's (and X's)?

If so, wouldn't retrofitting older cars with the new trim parts be a "superior" chrome delete method?

I know many people will always prefer the vinyl wrap method because it's cheaper and easier to change your mind later, but surely at least *some* people would prefer the actual Tesla branded parts?

So basically three questions,

Will it fit?

Will it be cost prohibitive?

Will Tesla discourage this?

Model 3 owners have already been through this whole scenario when that model switched from chrome to black:

Basically, the parts are available, but it's a lot of work to, say, disassemble the entire door just to change a door handle, for instance. So the vinyl strategy will always have a place I guess. Still, you have to assume the real updated trim parts will weather better..

I totally agree. But having seen the Plaid in person now, I believe the black chrome works very well with the new space gray arachnid wheels. If there were a bright silver wheel option then yes traditional chrome trim elsewhere would be called for. I've seen people here compare this to having your belt and your shoes match.

Anyway if the parts are compatible and available, the new black trim will take a lot of business away from wrappers. Why wrap when you can have the real thing.

I don't think a Tesla Service Center will ever get involved in something like this, but the larger question is can *anyone* order any given trim part from Tesla. I spoke with a chrome delete place in my area and the guy just shook his head sadly and said it's really hard to deal with Tesla right now. They are hard to get normal parts from on a good day (takes many phone calls just to get through to anyone, even for someone working in a legitimate capacity as an auto repair trade professional, basically you have to "know a guy"somewhere at Tesla outside the normal communication channels), and of course they sometimes will designate a part (and not always a part you would expect) to be "Restricted", meaning no one can order it *except* a Service Center.

I still don't know if the new trim parts are available or if they even fit. Shouldn't be too hard to get these answers but anyway it will probably take a person with an older S who actually wants to attempt this.

(That person won't be me because I have an X: I am only asking S owners for advance information in anticipation of that great and glorious day when I can use this strategy to chrome delete my Model X. Of course that could be many months away as things stand now. At least the refresh S is real and shipping. Surely someone will have actual info on this topic soon..)

The parts are not restricted but they are also not yet readily available. I priced 4 door handles, four belt moldings, the rear applique and both side scalp moldings and hit $2710 before tax. That doesn't include the mirrors or side repeater covers. If you see one in person, you'll realize they use the same parts painted black. I think the money is better spent painting your existing parts.

Also if you are like me with an older S, you have the superior cast door handles that were discontinued for the cheaper ABS units. No doubt the lighter ABS grips probably are easier on the mechanism.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Thank you for sharing your findings.

Continuing to look into this, it seems the rear window trim is problematic and will probably result in additional labor costs. Not only did I hear this myself from a local shop, but I see there was a thread very similar to this one over in the Model 3 section that mentions this as well:

If i'm not mistaken, the smaller portion behind the rear doors are one piece (trim and glass) and are replaced as a whole... which most likely adds to cost.

Anyway what's starting to emerge is this may be doable but it won't be cheap..

Reactions: blodg1