Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post-2021 chrome delete with the new OEM parts

Harvey Danger

Mar 2, 2021
The Pacific Northwest
Do we know if the new dark trim (around windows, door handles, cameras, trunk, etc) will be the same dimensions as the chrome parts on pre 2021 Model S's (and X's)?

If so, wouldn't retrofitting older cars with the new trim parts be a "superior" chrome delete method?

I know many people will always prefer the vinyl wrap method because it's cheaper and easier to change your mind later, but surely at least *some* people would prefer the actual Tesla branded parts?

So basically three questions,

Will it fit?

Will it be cost prohibitive?

Will Tesla discourage this?

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
How would anyone know this? The new cars aren't available yet.

I'd think they would keep the handles compatible to save money, but nobody will know for sure until the cars are in the hands of the purchasers.

Reactions: krsgio

Harvey Danger

Mar 2, 2021
The Pacific Northwest
Model 3 owners have already been through this whole scenario when that model switched from chrome to black:

Basically, the parts are available, but it's a lot of work to, say, disassemble the entire door just to change a door handle, for instance. So the vinyl strategy will always have a place I guess. Still, you have to assume the real updated trim parts will weather better..

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC