Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Buyer looking for insight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello ladies and gentlemen, I am seriously considering buying a S P100D. Currently have a BMW I8, and a F150 for a daily driver, thinking of dumping both of those for the S. Can someone tell me if there are major benefits to buying direct from Tesla vs a high end dealership ( there are some p100ds available at a Ferrari and McLaren dealer), and If I were to buy direct from Tesla, do they accept non Tesla trades?

Thanks

They do accept trade ins but you can get more selling yourself. You can get carmax quotes and tesla might match those.

Getting it from tesla means you can buy an extended warranty, whereas you can’t from a private dealer. Its a really fun car and cheap to operate.

Tesla will take non Tesla trade ins, yes. If you get a quote from them and carmax, they will match carmax if they give you a higher quote.

If you’re buying a Tesla from a dealer, it’s not “new” and this not eligible for tax credits. If you buy new or new inventory from Tesla, you can get a tax credit. If you time it right (end of quarter) you can often find highly discounted p100 model S cars inventory at Tesla.

If you’re buying used, look at the warranty differences. I wouldn’t think the dealer would be helpful with service issues.

Buy new from Tesla to get the newest Model S Performance (aka P100D) which has the new Full Self Driving computer, new fully adaptive suspension, and 345 miles range instead of 315 miles. Acceleration is also supposed to be quicker though the official spec hasn’t been updated.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Also consider the Tesla Warranty, which is much better than other makes.

For instance, a used model S sold through Tesla will have a 4 year, 50k warranty, and a Approx 4 year, unlimited warranty on battery and drivetrain.

Although I have placed the entire contents of a Costco cart in the SUNK (Rear Sub Trunk) AND closed the lid, consider keeping the truck as a main driver for insurance purposes, and for those dirty jobs like hauling yard supplies, at least until the Model Y comes out.

Comments above should get you started. Use the search function to answer any questions you have.

Don't worry about the battery, charging or range. RTM, watch the Tesla Vids, and you will be fine.

Tesla will take non Tesla trade ins, yes. If you get a quote from them and carmax, they will match carmax if they give you a higher quote.

This may no longer be true. I am in the middle of the order process and Tesla gave a low offer for my trade-in. I asked about matching Carmax (or other) offers, and my Owner Advisor said Tesla does not match other quotes.

This may be one of several details that have changed since I purchased my first Tesla 2 years ago.