Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential estimate for fender incident, need to call a repair shop already.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I might not get much here... but my brand new Tesla Model 3 that I just received last Tuesday is already scratched thanks to someone who wasn't paying attention and luckily for me, the woman left a note and I was able to get in contact with her as she admitted fault. Since it is super cold in Chicago right now and I don't have a parking garage to charge, I turned off Sentry two nights before because I had noticed that it drained so much money and within these two weeks, I've already spent over $60 charging at Superchargers/Parking Lots with chargers and wanted to see how long I could go without realistically breaking the bank on just filling the car. Well because my luck... this happens two houses down from my house and of course since I have a bright red car on the street full of black, white and grey cars, maybe it became a target? I don't know but it's just extremely disheartening considering this was literally... a brand new car 10 days ago...

Attachments

• 66320035079__02C94F9C-073C-448A-A532-2381751D13F8.jpeg
    66320035079__02C94F9C-073C-448A-A532-2381751D13F8.jpeg
    650.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
The lady who hit you wasnt named kagome, was she? (sorry, you picked that user name so I had to make a reference, lol).

Anyway, No idea on the fender, teslas are expensive to repair. Its going to be over an insurance deductible for sure. On the other thing you said, it sounds like you are another in a long line of people who thought some variation of "this car gets 300 miles range, I only drive 20 miles a day, I can go two weeks without charging and it will be fine" and as you are finding out it doesnt work like that.

Also as you found out, sentry mode keeps the car awake, and will drain between 1 to 2 miles per hour, so roughly 20-25 miles per 24 hour period left on. Sentry mode was a bolt on feature a few years ago, and keeps the car awake.

Unfortunately the very people who would WANT to use sentry mode constantly (those without a garage to park in / home charging, or leaving the car at an airport for a trip, etc) are the very people who SHOULD NOT use sentry mode constantly).

At least in your case, lack of sentry mode being on didnt change anything, since the person did the responsible thing and left a note.

Its just bad luck, if your car was actually targeted or something, they would not have left a note, so while the situation is frustrating I am sure, you shouldnt let your emotions get the best of you here.

Hopefully, your car is fixed as good as new without too much drama, and you can get back to hunting for jewel shards ( ;) )

Dang! That wasn't a scratch, that was an accident! You're so lucky the other person was honest.

Not sure if it'll help in the future, but when I went away for the holidays, I left my 3 at the airport, and I have an app, Stats, with a beta feature that turns on Sentry only at night, so I save some juice. Of course, if I get hit in the daytime, I'm out of luck, but there's more witnesses in the daytime. Thankfully, no one hit me, but 8 days in the parking lot drained about 130 miles of range, when it normally would have drained about 250 miles. Of course, once it hits 20% SOC, it would have turned off Sentry, but still, it cut my drain in half, by watching my car in half.

The lady who hit you wasnt named kagome, was she? (sorry, you picked that user name so I had to make a reference, lol).

Anyway, No idea on the fender, teslas are expensive to repair. Its going to be over an insurance deductible for sure. On the other thing you said, it sounds like you are another in a long line of people who thought some variation of "this car gets 300 miles range, I only drive 20 miles a day, I can go two weeks without charging and it will be fine" and as you are finding out it doesnt work like that.

Also as you found out, sentry mode keeps the car awake, and will drain between 1 to 2 miles per hour, so roughly 20-25 miles per 24 hour period left on. Sentry mode was a bolt on feature a few years ago, and keeps the car awake.

Unfortunately the very people who would WANT to use sentry mode constantly (those without a garage to park in / home charging, or leaving the car at an airport for a trip, etc) are the very people who SHOULD NOT use sentry mode constantly).

At least in your case, lack of sentry mode being on didnt change anything, since the person did the responsible thing and left a note.

Its just bad luck, if your car was actually targeted or something, they would not have left a note, so while the situation is frustrating I am sure, you shouldnt let your emotions get the best of you here.

Hopefully, your car is fixed as good as new without too much drama, and you can get back to hunting for jewel shards ( ;) )
Haha she wasn't but might as well had been since she was quite young lol,

Yes that was exactly my thought, though it's extremely exastubated in Chicago due to the INSANE cold weather we get at times. I plan on moving out to Portland this year so I'll be looking to for sure get a garage going forward and to see if I can get a charger installed.

Yep Sentry Mode is nice especially when I am parked in a place I'm normally not familiar with from the times that I did use it, but was extremely not prepared for this even around my house especially on week two. I'm so heartbroken.

Yeah I have been making sure to not get too angry considering things could have been much worse. And glad she was okay. Just need to get it repairs and be about my day.

Haha have to find the jewel shards and hope I don't run into Sesshomaru on the way!

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
Dang! That wasn't a scratch, that was an accident! You're so lucky the other person was honest.

Not sure if it'll help in the future, but when I went away for the holidays, I left my 3 at the airport, and I have an app, Stats, with a beta feature that turns on Sentry only at night, so I save some juice. Of course, if I get hit in the daytime, I'm out of luck, but there's more witnesses in the daytime. Thankfully, no one hit me, but 8 days in the parking lot drained about 130 miles of range, when it normally would have drained about 250 miles. Of course, once it hits 20% SOC, it would have turned off Sentry, but still, it cut my drain in half, by watching my car in half.
Oh this is an interesting app, I should look into that one, thank you!