Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Supercharger-Wilkesboro, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a Sheetz gas station being built on corner of NC 16 and 421. See the following article from the local paper. I noticed that there were some spaces towards the front corner away from the gas pumps that look like they could be for chargers. I can't find anything when I look for permits but I'm not that savvy at finding permits. Thoughts?

It would be a good place to add coverage between Boone and Winston Salem but I'm doubtful.

Sheetz store in Wilkesboro

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Here is a link to the blanket permit for the Sheetz itself: Permit View - Wilkes County, NC

Address is 4034 US HWY 421, Reddies River, NC

Right now I don't see any other permits in the system that would specifically cover a Tesla (or other) charging station, but worth keeping an eye on it, as yes, this is probably the kind of station that Sheetz would definitely consider putting in charging stations considering the location and highway accessibility.

When you say there are space towards the front corner that look like they could be for chargers, is there anything specific you noticed? I.e. a suspiciously large area that is not paved that could hold a transformer and charging cabinets?

Some pictures would be great.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed those 8 spots towards the front of the parking lot. I reached out to the town of Wilkesboro to ask for the approved site plans. Unfortunately no mention of Superchargers (see attached).

I do agree this would be a great location between Winston and Boone. Maybe in the future!

Attachments

• Pages from Sheetz Wilkesboro NC - Approved Civil Plans.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 68
Unlikely there is a supercharger here based on those plans. There are underground storage tanks there and no power is being pulled anywhere near those parking spaces.

1689952932385.png

1689952950346.png

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed those 8 spots towards the front of the parking lot. I reached out to the town of Wilkesboro to ask for the approved site plans. Unfortunately no mention of Superchargers (see attached).

I do agree this would be a great location between Winston and Boone. Maybe in the future!

That lot layout doesn't look good for Superchargers. Not much space. Other small charger installation, maybe.

Thanks everyone for the information. I just happened to be driving from Boone to Winston Salem yesterday and noticed the gas station being built. I figured you all would have more insights to provide. Perhaps one day, Wilkesboro will get one.
I always keep my eye out for construction for a potential SuC location in Wilksboro, NC since it seem like a prime location between Winston-Salem and Boone. I saw the Sheetz going in and was thinking that it might be a potential spot as well so thanks for making the post for us to discuss.

It does look like it would be a tight fit on the spaces on the left side, but the Madison Heights, VA location has a similar setup with 8 stalls on the left so maybe there is a small chance. Even a small 4 stall location like South Boston, VA would be better than nothing but I think it would be over utilized rather quickly. This is the VA Sheetz with the 8 stalls snugly fit on the left:
1690822794061.png

Since it sounds like one won't end up here I think there is plenty of other potential spots such as the Lowes' Foods parking lot (much like the soon-to-be Knightdale, NC location) or the Lowe's Home Improvement parking lot. Another useful location would be in at the Exxon in Hamptonville, NC which would service the North/South of 77 and the East/West of 421. I love having multiple potential charging locations and I feel like there will be one in Wilksboro before too long. :cool: