Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coated Wheels in So Cal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I recently picked up a 24' white MYLR. I went with the 19" Gemini wheels because I wanted a little softer ride and I really like the look of the wheels, without the wheel covers of course. I was initially thinking of painting the wheels myself then started to look into powder coating. Only issue I was finding was that all the places around here were going to require me to get the tires removed and need the wheels for a couple of days.

Luckily I found this forum! I found a thread ($1,000 to powdercoat a set of wheels?) of exactly what I was going through and they recommended a guy named Ray in Santa Ana and a phone number (714-804-8731). Ray runs a wheel exchange where he will take perfect-condition wheels, powder coat them and exchange them for your current wheels. I was a little concerned reaching out to a random number found on the internet, but I figured what did I have to lose. I texted Ray and he got back to me quickly. Ray said he had the Gemini's in stock in both matte and gloss. For $500 Ray would mount/balance my current tire onto the new wheels, keeping my factory wheels to powder coat and hold on to for the next guy. I would still need to get the center cap and lug nut covers. He only does this for wheels in perfect condition, otherwise it would be additional charge to get the wheels perfect. Ray said it would take 45min to 1 hour.

I showed up to a small shop absolutely filled with Tesla wheels, including 20"s and 21"s. Ray told me he does mostly e-bay sales and used to work at the powder coating shop and did the wheel stuff on the side, but it had been growing for him. Long story short I was in and out in 45 minutes and the wheels look great! I opted for matte (or satin) finish as it matched the trim better and Ray said it was a little less prone to showing scratches.

If you are in So Cal and looking to get your wheels powder coated I highly recommend Ray. Hit him up at 714-804-8731. I am not affiliated with him at all, but I was impressed by his service and friendliness. I also wanted to pay it forward in case this updated info might help someone else in the future.

What do you guys think of the look? Got all of the glass ceramic tinted, just need to install the performance spoiler sitting in my garage to round out the black on white look.

Attachments

• Powder coated wheels #1.jpg
    Powder coated wheels #1.jpg
    801.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Powder coated wheels #2.jpg
    Powder coated wheels #2.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 12