Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder coating rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for those of us who live in the LA area I found a great source recommended by Tesla Burbank's wheel repair vendor. Universal Powder Coating, did my arachnids in Grey (they were originally silver), the color is an identical match to my grey turbines. Their work is impeccable better yet is their price. $400 for 4 21" Arachnid wheels. That's half the next lowest price! I was quoted from $800-$1600 and Universal Powder Coating did it for $400! I spoke to Ishmael (I believe he is the owner). Now off to Burbank Service Center to get them mounted and installed. I will post more pictures this evening but for now here is a sneak peak.

Universal Powder Coating
9265 Sunland Blvd
Sun Valley, CA 91352

(818) 982-0055

FA41B5A2-2D55-4399-AF7B-ED8A19B9BC73.jpeg

So for those of us who live in the LA area I found a great source recommended by Tesla Burbank's wheel repair vendor. Universal Powder Coating, did my arachnids in Grey (they were originally silver), the color is an identical match to my grey turbines. Their work is impeccable better yet is their price. $400 for 4 21" Arachnid wheels. That's half the next lowest price! I was quoted from $800-$1600 and Universal Powder Coating did it for $400! I spoke to Ishmael (I believe he is the owner). Now off to Burbank Service Center to get them mounted and installed. I will post more pictures this evening but for now here is a sneak peak.

Universal Powder Coating
9265 Sunland Blvd
Sun Valley, CA 91352

(818) 982-0055

Looks awesome!

Reactions: Macster
I picked up my Model S last weekend and would like to get my rims powder coated to grey and calipers painted red. Can anyone recommend a shop in Sacramento area and the price
You might want to consider PlastiDip for your wheels. It's faster, less expensive and you don't have to take the wheels off the car. Also, easier to fix when you scrape your rims and easy to change if you get tired of the color.

Reactions: Drax
I did my powder coating (satin black) at OC Detailing. Joe is great. Will give you a set of wheels while yours are being done. Great guy and great shop, and they stand behind their work. Lots of teslas in their shop at all times - so you know you are going to the right place. Got my close view of Model3s there too :). They are in Fremont. We both agreed to keep the original chrome bolt covers, as they make the black wheels pop, particularly in a white car. You can get dark wheel bolt covers if you have a dark car, and if you are doing more work like chrome-delete at other places.

IMG_1845.JPG

I dropped my spare wheels (19" Silver Cyclones) off at a shop and they just got back to me saying that the wheels as-is are apparently powder coated from factory, requiring a chemical dip to remove the powder coating before applying the new powder color. $55 extra per wheel :mad:

Now, after reading some of the comments here, it seems like this was never an issue nor an additional charge.

What do?

I dropped my spare wheels (19" Silver Cyclones) off at a shop and they just got back to me saying that the wheels as-is are apparently powder coated from factory, requiring a chemical dip to remove the powder coating before applying the new powder color. $55 extra per wheel :mad:

Now, after reading some of the comments here, it seems like this was never an issue nor an additional charge.

What do?
Strange, I've had it done to 2 sets of factory wheels, no issues. All wheel powdercoating should go through the same sandblasting process to strip them anyway. Your local shop may be pulling a fast one here...

Strange, I've had it done to 2 sets of factory wheels, no issues. All wheel powdercoating should go through the same sandblasting process to strip them anyway. Your local shop may be pulling a fast one here...

So it seems there are three schools of thought on this topic.
1. Powder coat over powder coated wheels
2. Sandblast Powder coated wheels, then powder coat
3. Chemically strip powder coat, then powder coat

I think in the end, I don't care which process is used, as long as it only costs $400 or less.

So I received these pictures of my wheels. Looks like they sand blasted then decided chem strip would be easier..

Attachments

• IMG_8797.JPG
    IMG_8797.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_8799.JPG
    IMG_8799.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 721
I'm considering doing this to my 19" double spoke wheels. I have a bit of curb rash on three of them. A local shop quoted me $800 to repair the curb rash and powder coat all four wheels, saying it would take 2-3 days. Considering others in the thread are standing firm at $400 or less, should I consider other options? I imagine doing the curb rash repair would necessitate going over $400 but, is that too much?

I'm considering doing this to my 19" double spoke wheels. I have a bit of curb rash on three of them. A local shop quoted me $800 to repair the curb rash and powder coat all four wheels, saying it would take 2-3 days. Considering others in the thread are standing firm at $400 or less, should I consider other options? I imagine doing the curb rash repair would necessitate going over $400 but, is that too much?
You may want to consider this option for the double spoke wheels ... :cool:
T-Sportline Black Wheel.jpg

What's the cost of mount/balance ?
It’s free because they from a referral reward. I’m sure the price is more than a local tire shop.

Generally mount and balance at my local tire shop is $10-$15 per wheel and that includes putting them on the car and reprogramming tpms. If I had to pay for it I’d take it to my local tire shop.

Quick update. I don’t have my pickup truck (getting a new one on order) so I haven’t had a chance to bring the tires and wheels back to Tesla to get everything put together. Will update soon.

Last edited: