Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power off while inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if there is a way to power off the car and have it stay off while inside the vehicle (until brake is pressed), as if I just removed the key from the ignition. Several times I've found myself waiting in the car (for a kids class or practice to finish) and wanting to shut it down. The problem is if I shift in my seat or make some other sudden movement, everything turns back on, spoiler goes up, etc.

Is there a way to turn off this automatic wake up?

Are you concerned that the battery is being run down and you won't have enough energy to get somewhere?
It's not like an ICE where you will get CO poisoning or kill the environment.
Are you in a climate that is so perfect that sitting in a car is comfortable? Here in Texas, you would DIE in 10 minutes!

You can turn the car off while inside via the instructions on page 107 (E-Brake & Power Off).
I went to that screen this afternoon in the same situation of waiting for a kid and it said "emergency" power off. Is it really "emergency" or is it garden variety power off?

Sitting in a powered off car still uses less energy than one sort of on, even if it is electric.

Sitting in a powered off car still uses less energy than one sort of on, even if it is electric.

Yes but you are talking about a minuscule amount of energy. Energy from these systems while parked run on the 12 volt battery and not your main traction battery. Granted the 12 volt battery is recharged when needed but the bottom line is that you are not severely running down the battery pack keeping the car on. We have even gone camping and used the Tesla as a heat source overnight for the tent and only lost about 5 miles of charge. I would not worry about the energy and enjoy the comforts of the car while waiting for the kids.

I tried it yesterday, turning off the power while waiting to pick up my daughter, and when I turned the car back on, there was a warning about the emergency brake being disabled that I could not get rid of during the drive home. Has anyone else gotten that warning and how do you get rid of it?