Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power source for ambient LED interior light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

Does anyone know what the red cable described in this installation video goes to? Just thinking what could happen if the cord would fall out of the splice connector.

Does anyone maybe have another non-intrusive cable/connector that would fit connecting to this ambient lighting kit? Would not like to connect it to the 12v outlet as that is still powered for a tiny while after you lock the car, so has to be somewhere where the power would be cut directly after leaving the car.

I don't know what that wire is, but I did a major analysis of connectors that can be used for different power situations and documented how power remains in different states, and tested the safe current draw. Note that some of this varies by which variant (MCU) you have: Accessory Power Guide 12v/5v – TeslaTap

Thank you for the info and link vcor! For someone that is far from an electrician (stops at switching a light bulb), would you guess that the linked led strips linked above draws less than 1 ampere? Also do you know if theres a ODB2 adapter than would have the a red/black power cord female connector on the opposite side of the adapter?

Hard to say the power needed. If it's a kit you bought, perhaps they list it on the website and/or you can contact them. You want to know what the peak current is. I have a strip of 88 RGB LEDs mounted in the front of my car (see my icon on the left) that pulls a bit more than 1 amp if all LEDs are lit.

Amazon and others sell ODB-II power connectors like this: https://www.amazon.com/OLLGEN-Vehicle-Emergency-Connector-Adapter/dp/B07WRNPX39 where you could cut off the plug and have 12v via the wires.