Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this post and want to share my experience. I had a power tailgate retrofit installed on my 2020 M3LR in Feb. It was working perfectly until late March when I noticed the car had a phantom drain of 4-5% daily, and right before the service appointment the 12V battery replacement warning came up. The SC thought replacing the 12V would fix the problem but it didn't (they were nice enough to keep the car for a few days to observe the battery usage). After 2 days they found two issues: the hard drive I am using as dashcam woke the car 300+ times overnight, AND the power trunk module is also waking the car up frequently (they also cited an internal memo regarding this recent issue). Unplugging the hard drive didnt work and finally unplugging the power trunk connector worked. So I have to wait for a firmware update and bring the car back for reconnection. It's a pain but so far everything is under Tesla Hong Kong warranty and costs me zero. Will pick the car up either today or tomorrow and will update you then.

Absolute insanity. Imagine this happened out of warranty and then they revealed after thousands and thousands in repairs that it was the retrofit.
That's me - 2019 Model 3 out of warranty end of Sept 2023, and I had Tesla install the powered trunk retrofit in Oct 2023. I paid $1000 for Tesla to diagnose and replace VCFRONT to try to correct the HVAC issue but am I glad I found this thread! I was going to get Tesla to replace my blower motor but now I'll just sit tight and wait for the software fix. Tesla Toronto never told me my intermittent HVAC issue relates to my powered trunk retrofit.

That's me - 2019 Model 3 out of warranty end of Sept 2023, and I had Tesla install the powered trunk retrofit in Oct 2023. I paid $1000 for Tesla to diagnose and replace VCFRONT to try to correct the HVAC issue but am I glad I found this thread! I was going to get Tesla to replace my blower motor but now I'll just sit tight and wait for the software fix. Tesla Toronto never told me my intermittent HVAC issue relates to my powered trunk retrofit.
I don’t know how far you’ll get, but ask them to refund your grand. They went on a fishing expedition at your expense!

Reactions: Electrph
You seem to be less upset about your misfortune than I am. I would be raising hell.