Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just to clarify removing the harness behind the center console resulted in your model 3 deep sleeping again?
If so I will try this as well until this issue is (hopefully) resolved
This totally works. In fact the Tesla Service Center did this to my 2020 LR with Retrofit Trunk. The invoice literally says I need to make an appointment after the next software update and they will do their thing again to fix the rear trunk.

i would think majority of people are not having this problem or would see more complaints here .. unless as stated above a lot pf ppl use sentry mode at all times or dont notice their car not sleeping / losing extra 2-3% every 8 hrs 🤷🏻‍♂️
Its tricky. I was posting all over here back in December about my trunk issues, and not only did it few responses, but people who had the Retrofit said they were fine. That really doesn't mean it's not happening widespread.

The 2023 Xmas update broke my trunk completely, would not open under any electrical buttons. Service Center had my car for 3 days and basically said, "Yeah we installed this 11/2023, but in 1/2024 you're the only person in central Ohio to have this done." Eventually they figured out how to "flash the controller" to get it to work.

Come 4/1/2024 and the next major update came down, my HVAC is completely bricked, the car won't sleep, and I got the red charge port light because the car was trying to charge constantly. Of course remote diagnostics is lame and they just say, "you need a new compressor, $1500." Took the car back in and they had it for two days. They figured out the Retrofit was the issue, after disconnecting from the armrest console, my HVAC works just fine.

They claim I am STILL the only person to have this done out of the Columbus, OH service center, going on 6 months. They do a ton of work as there are only 3 SCs in Ohio (by law).

• Informative
Reactions: Electrph
Its tricky. I was posting all over here back in December about my trunk issues, and not only did it few responses, but people who had the Retrofit said they were fine. That really doesn't mean it's not happening widespread.

The 2023 Xmas update broke my trunk completely, would not open under any electrical buttons. Service Center had my car for 3 days and basically said, "Yeah we installed this 11/2023, but in 1/2024 you're the only person in central Ohio to have this done." Eventually they figured out how to "flash the controller" to get it to work.

Come 4/1/2024 and the next major update came down, my HVAC is completely bricked, the car won't sleep, and I got the red charge port light because the car was trying to charge constantly. Of course remote diagnostics is lame and they just say, "you need a new compressor, $1500." Took the car back in and they had it for two days. They figured out the Retrofit was the issue, after disconnecting from the armrest console, my HVAC works just fine.

They claim I am STILL the only person to have this done out of the Columbus, OH service center, going on 6 months. They do a ton of work as there are only 3 SCs in Ohio (by law).
Could be a situation like mine too where I didn't have issues for months after getting it installed. Then I decided to wait for a firmware update since that's what they told me to do before looking in to it further.
Just all around awful service and communication from Tesla, as usual.

Could be a situation like mine too where I didn't have issues for months after getting it installed. Then I decided to wait for a firmware update since that's what they told me to do before looking in to it further.
Just all around awful service and communication from Tesla, as usual.
That was my experience as well. I had the retrofit installed for about 5 months before I saw any problems. Given how quickly these issues popped up for those who had the retrofit, I'm pretty sure it was a firmware update Tesla pushed out that started causing the problems.

Well dang it, I unplugged the cable but of course the other end sucked back into the center console and can't get to it and not sure where exactly it went. I'll keep my SC appointment and let them know it got sucked back in and they might have to remove the center console and reattach.

Now getting 2024.8.9 as well and was hoping to test to see if it fixes the issue but that'll be delayed.

Updates: Last week I left the car plugged in the garage and over 4 days it lost 20% of its charge. It would not auto charge for the most part. It did once it hit 61% while I was gone, so I was ecstatic that Telsa may have fixed it. But when I got home, it is behaving as original - losing charge and charge error, not auto charging/scheduled charging.
Just got back from my appointment with Tesla, the service manager showed me the TSB. Tesla is well aware of this issue; they have many unresolved cases so far. The workaround from Tesla is to disconnect the exactly the same connector.
If you have not opened a service ticket, I would highly urge those to open a ticket/service appt so that Tesla sees the pressure and fixes this. (I work at a software company and # of tickets is a key metric to help prioritize a fix)
The service manager popped off the panel and showed me how to disconnect it, so I may reconnect it when an update is pushed out. There was no charge to me, in and out in 10 mins.
The powered trunk still works using the button, just not from the app. Using the app, it lifts up but doesn't shut.
If you want to DIY here are the pics. It is easy.

View attachment 1036703
Thanks much for posting these pics. This will save me from having to drive back to the SC to get it reconnected. 👊🏻

Really appreciate this thread. I got the retrofit done last year around october and didn't have any issues till near the end of February where the car all of a sudden stopped wanting to sleep. I never saw any of the errors, but I did put in a ticket with Tesla who only told me it was a known firmware issue.
After about a month and a firmware update I got tired of waiting and checked the notifications and found the PCS unable to charge error.
Disconnected the connector and no issues since then.
It's cost me about $100 in extra charging, and I'm mostly upset Tesla didn't give me any info on the issue other than "firmware issue".
Your last sentence I completely agree .. that’s what irks me most .. how much money was wasted by losing extra 3-4% every night. Trunk not opening or closing with app one thing but something we paid for actually costing every month 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah, I had HVAC issue right after the retrofit but somehow they fixed that by replacing the power trunk control module. PCS_a022 error persists and they do not have a fix. I tried to disconnect the canbus as suggested on this thread and living with that now. I don't mind too much of losing the capability to close the trunk on screen or remotely as I almost never do that anyway.

Updates: Last week I left the car plugged in the garage and over 4 days it lost 20% of its charge. It would not auto charge for the most part. It did once it hit 61% while I was gone, so I was ecstatic that Telsa may have fixed it. But when I got home, it is behaving as original - losing charge and charge error, not auto charging/scheduled charging.
Just got back from my appointment with Tesla, the service manager showed me the TSB. Tesla is well aware of this issue; they have many unresolved cases so far. The workaround from Tesla is to disconnect the exactly the same connector.
If you have not opened a service ticket, I would highly urge those to open a ticket/service appt so that Tesla sees the pressure and fixes this. (I work at a software company and # of tickets is a key metric to help prioritize a fix)
The service manager popped off the panel and showed me how to disconnect it, so I may reconnect it when an update is pushed out. There was no charge to me, in and out in 10 mins.
The powered trunk still works using the button, just not from the app. Using the app, it lifts up but doesn't shut.
If you want to DIY here are the pics. It is easy.

View attachment 1036703

Oops - didn't quote properly! Thank you SO MUCH for all this info to help end this frustration! I'm tempted to just disconnect it and forget about it, because closing the trunk with screen or app isn't something I need anyway. However, just to be cautious and asking a dumb question: is there any other function that this little cable controls?

Oops - didn't quote properly! Thank you SO MUCH for all this info to help end this frustration! I'm tempted to just disconnect it and forget about it, because closing the trunk with screen or app isn't something I need anyway. However, just to be cautious and asking a dumb question: is there any other function that this little cable controls?
Nothing unexpected for a month now after disconnecting the cable.

Reactions: szez42
Is that all this connector does: closing the trunk from the screen and app? If I disconnected it and never connected back, no other function of the car would be impacted?
yes disconnecting it will not allow you to close trunk from app or screen in car, can only close using button on inside lip of trunk, you can still open trunk from app / screen / button above license plate

Reactions: szez42
Same issue here. Car not sleeping as of the last month/1.5 months. I don't have the HVAC errors, but definitely losing 5%+ of charge when not plugged in daily. 2020 M3P and got the power trunk retrofit done back in October 2023.

I do tend to use the screen/phone app more often to close trunk just cause, but i can live without that to save SOC.

Just unplugged and hoping it sleeps now and doesn't cost me all that extra charge while it sits around. Thanks for the posts

Yep. already a difference. 2 hrs after i disconnected, the car is quiet, "T" logo next to charge port is off and even the widget on my phone shows 2 hours since last active, or whatever that timing is. Before the most time it would show is ~2-3 minutes.

That was my experience as well. I had the retrofit installed for about 5 months before I saw any problems. Given how quickly these issues popped up for those who had the retrofit, I'm pretty sure it was a firmware update Tesla pushed out that started causing the problems.
This seems to be my exact experience. I got the retrofit installed in Oct. No issues until March 19th. Then massive daily phantom drain seemingly out of no where.
Same issue here. Car not sleeping as of the last month/1.5 months. I don't have the HVAC errors, but definitely losing 5%+ of charge when not plugged in daily. 2020 M3P and got the power trunk retrofit done back in October 2023.

I do tend to use the screen/phone app more often to close trunk just cause, but i can live without that to save SOC.

Just unplugged and hoping it sleeps now and doesn't cost me all that extra charge while it sits around. Thanks for the posts
My car sits at an airport for weeks so this obviously is an issue. This weekend when I am with it again, I will try and disconnect this cable. What’s funny is, I have tried everything else. Disconnected the wireless charging pad, checked light bulbs, removed USB drives, and none of these worked. I’m glad I found this thread. 🤞🏾🤞🏾

Sure enough, that was the answer. I disconnected the canbus, and 5 mins later, car started sleeping. I even placed a service request with Tesla and mentioned what I read on this forum. They acknowledged it was a firmware issue, and that disconnecting the cable was the best fit until they push a firmware update.

I’m in the same boat here. Today attempted update from 2024.3.10 to 2024.3.15 with trunk 2 pin cable disconnected. After the update, trunk no longer opens at all. Not physically or via computer display. Trying reinstall via service menu with trunk connected to see if that fixes it.