Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not see such issue anywhere but my 2020 model 3 has been warning for CC_a022 every few minutes since power trunk retrofit by Tesla. Car is charging fine but kept the car awake 24 by 7 which causes battery drain by 15 miles per day... I scheduled a service and was told this issue is under review by Tesla and no solution yet. How long has this issue been going on? I would think this issue been raised up quite a bit but surprised that I did not see any discussion about it.

Reactions: Massive Attack
I have the exact same issue. feb 2020 model 3 sr+. i noticed huge battery drain and pcs_a022 as well as ui_112(usb malfunction)

I unplugged the CAN bus harness from under the center console and the problem seems to have gone away.

Do you have any mods done? I have a OEM subwoofer installed with an amp and harnesses that splice from the right side speaker cables. not sure if that could cause any interference

Last edited:
Just to add, I also had a 12v battery and trunk lid harness recall done along with the power trunk retrofit in the same service appointment.

I did some investigation and deduced the following (i could be totally wrong though):

Why would the powered trunk need a canbus hookup if you can already open the trunk from the screen, assuming that the mcu sends the open command via the canbus? Because the stock trunk latch is dumb and it doesn't communicate through the canbus.

So how does the computer know that the trunk is open or closed? The way I think it could make sense is that the hook the latch latches to is ground. So when they touch the computer knows it's closed. To open, the computer sends some current through the latch cabling and it unlocks. No microcontrollers needed.

That means the powerlift controller has only one job, and that's for receiving 'close' commands. This makes the retrofit logic so much simpler without having to change how the existing latch mechanism works.

Now why would this throw errors? If what I deduced is correct, then there is no reason for the powerlift controller to send any canbus commands. That must mean that there's some interference going through the canbus hookup from the controller. For me the errors happen every 11-12 minutes, and I also get UI_a112 along with PCS_a022 a few seconds after. If no music is playing, then my sub shouldn't be drawing any current (but maybe the amp does have some small idle power draw?). This makes be believe that there's something going on internally in the powerlift controller.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Tested with the amp and sub off and errors still popped up. Can confidently say this issue is caused by something internally in the powered trunk.

My current workaround is to remove the harness behind the center console. The trunk is still powered manually but is no longer closable from the center screen or app.

Tested with the amp and sub off and errors still popped up. Can confidently say this issue is caused by something internally in the powered trunk.

My current workaround is to remove the harness behind the center console. The trunk is still powered manually but is no longer closable from the center screen or app.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I did not do any additional modification other than the official recalls like the 12v battery and trunk lid harness recall. Those were done months before the retrofit of power trunk and there was no issue. I did have the USB error at the beginning as well as climate control errors right after the retrofit (I was actually not able to turn on climate control at the time) so I requested a service and they said they replaced the control module for power trunk. After that only a022 error shows up. I had no problem with it since it does not interfere anything until I realize it keeps the car awake and drain the battery. 2nd service concluded that it's not fixable. I may try what you did as long as it can open/close using the buttons at the truck area. I barely use center screen to control the rear trunk anyway.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I did not do any additional modification other than the official recalls like the 12v battery and trunk lid harness recall. Those were done months before the retrofit of power trunk and there was no issue. I did have the USB error at the beginning as well as climate control errors right after the retrofit (I was actually not able to turn on climate control at the time) so I requested a service and they said they replaced the control module for power trunk. After that only a022 error shows up. I had no problem with it since it does not interfere anything until I realize it keeps the car awake and drain the battery. 2nd service concluded that it's not fixable. I may try what you did as long as it can open/close using the buttons at the truck area. I barely use center screen to control the rear trunk anyway.
This trunk retrofit has been done for years already in China so if there is a persistent power issue that is inherent in the hardware, I imagine there would have been plenty of complaints already. So I would expect this is either a software issue or something specific to your car(s).

lol I also had my hvac break, good to know it was likely caused by this.

it could be that the controller they used had outdated firmware

Last edited:
YES ! I have had the issue of car not sleeping since power trunk retrofit … I thought it was fixed when service center “reset” my rear window defroster but it was not (rear glass was chipped during retrofit)
I have tried every possible setting on car releated to deep sleep even did the reboot where main battery disconnected under rear seat and 12 volt disconnected
As background have had car almost 5 years never prob deep sleeping at home when parked in garage nothing else has changed that I know of other than trunk retrofit 🤷🏻‍♂️
Service center told me no errors shown on logs that would indicate a problem.
Was hoping an OTA update would solve it at some point but it’s been almost 4 months and multiple updates

I do not have any electrical mods and recall deck lid harness was replaced or addressed when retrofit was done

Last edited:
damn that sucks. did they reimburse you for the chipped glass?

Some people have said that they noticed no issues at all, so I wonder what makes their cars different from ours. It seems like it's affecting both 2019 and 2020 models on all trims. It might just be that others haven't noticed this issue, especially if they keep sentry on and always plugged in at home.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the issue is in the trunk controller, in which case I'm not sure if there is a way to remotely update, since the only connection it has to the car is the 2 canbus wires.

damn that sucks. did they reimburse you for the chipped glass?

Some people have said that they noticed no issues at all, so I wonder what makes their cars different from ours. It seems like it's affecting both 2019 and 2020 models on all trims. It might just be that others haven't noticed this issue, especially if they keep sentry on and always plugged in at home.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the issue is in the trunk controller, in which case I'm not sure if there is a way to remotely update, since the only connection it has to the car is the 2 canbus wires.
They did replace the rear glass the following week , they were actually very honest about it .. only prob was the glass was tinted w/ heat rejecting ceramic tint and Tesla seems to have strict policy on zero reimbursement for mods including tint.
I also noticed after the retrofit I could hear the main battery connector opening and closing freq from garage regardless if my phone was on me … this led me to turn sentry on at home worried about excess wear on main connector … if that is possible

So just to clarify removing the harness behind the center console resulted in your model 3 deep sleeping again?
If so I will try this as well until this issue is (hopefully) resolved

I took a look at the wire that connects to the trunk controller. It seems like the wires are not twisted. It's hard to tell since its taped but I couldn't feel any twists. This makes it more susceptible to noise and the wire is quite long (6 feet or so), so in a noise heavy environment like a car it could cause some interference.

• Informative
Reactions: Electrph
so i disconnected the 2 wire trunk canbus connector and sure enough my car slept like a bebe for two nights in a row 1st time in the 4 months since trunk retrofit installed
How is this not a Tesla warranty issue??
Is deep sleep function something Vague or a "feature" not necessary for normal operation according to Tesla service ?? 🤦🏻

Glad I found this thread before I pulled the trigger on my 2019 LR retrofit. Is there anyone who did the retrofit where this is NOT happening?
i would think majority of people are not having this problem or would see more complaints here .. unless as stated above a lot pf ppl use sentry mode at all times or dont notice their car not sleeping / losing extra 2-3% every 8 hrs 🤷🏻‍♂️

I got the same issue. And poor me, it's so hard (for me) to disconnect the CAN....and now I have no method but lost 3-4% per day.....

And because the error code is about PCS, Tesla want to charge me inspection fee and refuse to acknowledge its the issue caused by the retrofit

FYI: Count me in too. My 2020 SR+ with a power trunk (installed last summer) also began having PCS_a022 and VCFRONT_a447 errors back in December (luckily for me, it was still under warranty, but only for the climate control issue - I did have to pay $275 for an inspection fee, but since that's it, as they couldn't repair it). After 4 trips & spouse getting into the chat, they opened a ticket for Tesla Engineering to investigate. Before finding this thread, I didn't know the power trunk could be related to my issue as well. I suspect not that many owners have the power trunk upgrade.

@Mille Pun - Maybe the trunk upgrade warranty is still active, so push that angle. Again, not a lot of data points for PCS_a022 and power trunk install, but you are not alone.