Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: Count me in too. My 2020 SR+ with a power trunk (installed last summer) also began having PCS_a022 and VCFRONT_a447 errors back in December (luckily for me, it was still under warranty, but only for the climate control issue - I did have to pay $275 for an inspection fee, but since that's it, as they couldn't repair it). After 4 trips & spouse getting into the chat, they opened a ticket for Tesla Engineering to investigate. Before finding this thread, I didn't know the power trunk could be related to my issue as well. I suspect not that many owners have the power trunk upgrade.

@Mille Pun - Maybe the trunk upgrade warranty is still active, so push that angle. Again, not a lot of data points for PCS_a022 and power trunk install, but you are not alone.
When app showed a $275 inspection (2nd time I would have taken car to SC due to not sleeping post trunk retrofit) that’s when I decided didn’t want to roll dice on them not calling it a warranty issue and the fee not being waved.
Wonder if armed with knowledge that disconnecting the canbus connector to trunk remedies issue would get me anymore traction with SC actually addressing this in meaningful way or just open can of worms of me “ messing with things” 🧐

When app showed a $275 inspection (2nd time I would have taken car to SC due to not sleeping post trunk retrofit) that’s when I decided didn’t want to roll dice on them not calling it a warranty issue and the fee not being waved.
Wonder if armed with knowledge that disconnecting the canbus connector to trunk remedies issue would get me anymore traction with SC actually addressing this in meaningful way or just open can of worms of me “ messing with things” 🧐
Try suggesting to your service advisor that the power drain might be caused by the powered trunk retrofit. Let them disconnect and verify. I would hope that if the issue goes away, they waive the fee.

Reactions: Massive Attack
FYI: Count me in too. My 2020 SR+ with a power trunk (installed last summer) also began having PCS_a022 and VCFRONT_a447 errors back in December (luckily for me, it was still under warranty, but only for the climate control issue - I did have to pay $275 for an inspection fee, but since that's it, as they couldn't repair it). After 4 trips & spouse getting into the chat, they opened a ticket for Tesla Engineering to investigate. Before finding this thread, I didn't know the power trunk could be related to my issue as well. I suspect not that many owners have the power trunk upgrade.

@Mille Pun - Maybe the trunk upgrade warranty is still active, so push that angle. Again, not a lot of data points for PCS_a022 and power trunk install, but you are not alone.
what version and build are you on? mine is v11.1 ⁦(2024.2.7 d522c44937f7)⁩

Yup I still have the trunk retrofit warranty, but problem is they don't recognise this is the trunk's issue (because the symptom is PCS_a022)....you are right I have to push harder. I trying to skip the service agent and directly write to Tesla in email, service feedbacks, etc

what version and build are you on? mine is v11.1 ⁦(2024.2.7 d522c44937f7)⁩

Yup I still have the trunk retrofit warranty, but problem is they don't recognise this is the trunk's issue (because the symptom is PCS_a022)....you are right I have to push harder. I trying to skip the service agent and directly write to Tesla in email, service feedbacks, etc
I'm on the same 2024.2.7 ... but I traded this car in for a Highland 2024 M3 RWD, partly because of this issue. I also commented in this thread: Power trunk retrofit causing car awake and I saw something on a reddit thread... Maybe sharing this info with a service advisor will help. An issue has been opened, per my service rep ... done early March. At the time, we never thought the issue might be related to the powered trunk retrofit. So this new piece of info may help get a firmware fix.

I'm on the same 2024.2.7 ... but I traded this car in for a Highland 2024 M3 RWD, partly because of this issue. I also commented in this thread: Power trunk retrofit causing car awake and I saw something on a reddit thread... Maybe sharing this info with a service advisor will help. An issue has been opened, per my service rep ... done early March. At the time, we never thought the issue might be related to the powered trunk retrofit. So this new piece of info may help get a firmware fix.
Oops, this thread: 2020 sr+ failing HVAC and other errors

Just to add, I also had a 12v battery and trunk lid harness recall done along with the power trunk retrofit in the same service appointment.

I did some investigation and deduced the following (i could be totally wrong though):

Why would the powered trunk need a canbus hookup if you can already open the trunk from the screen, assuming that the mcu sends the open command via the canbus? Because the stock trunk latch is dumb and it doesn't communicate through the canbus.

So how does the computer know that the trunk is open or closed? The way I think it could make sense is that the hook the latch latches to is ground. So when they touch the computer knows it's closed. To open, the computer sends some current through the latch cabling and it unlocks. No microcontrollers needed.

That means the powerlift controller has only one job, and that's for receiving 'close' commands. This makes the retrofit logic so much simpler without having to change how the existing latch mechanism works.

Now why would this throw errors? If what I deduced is correct, then there is no reason for the powerlift controller to send any canbus commands. That must mean that there's some interference going through the canbus hookup from the controller. For me the errors happen every 11-12 minutes, and I also get UI_a112 along with PCS_a022 a few seconds after. If no music is playing, then my sub shouldn't be drawing any current (but maybe the amp does have some small idle power draw?). This makes be believe that there's something going on internally in the powerlift controller.
The two motor draw too much current from the left controller and thus shutting down the controller due to heat.
However, after a while the controller cools down, the HVAC works again until it gets hot again.
The retrofit is a Chinese solution and this not compatible.
Tesla should stop selling the retrofit.
This is the second time my controller going bad and I have to go back to SC.

Very interesting! I have a 2020 M3 LR.

I am now losing %5+ everyday I am parked, but this wasn't happening when I got the retrofit done months ago.

I hear my high-voltage contactors clunking repeatedly at all times. Sometimes I get in my car, and my screen is black, and I get "pcs_a022" alert, and my infotainment is slow (slower than usual).

I took it to Tesla and they assured me it was software related and they are going to remote fix it. My original thought is that my 12V battery is dying, and that car is waking to charge it (the battery was never replaced when I bought the car used, the battery is original), but Tesla says they will not replace it unless I get an alert to change it.

i suspect most people don’t really check their phantom battery drain, so the issue is probably more widespread than we think. don’t have the retrofit yet, but i know i personally probably wouldn’t have noticed for a long time.
The retrofit is a cheap Chinese kit that effects the low voltage battery, breaks the left controller, and causes HVAC malfunction. Tesla should stop offering the retrofit.
The trunk lid doesn't even go all the way up anyway.
I'm fighting with the service center to revive the retrofit and get my money back.

The retrofit is a cheap Chinese kit that effects the low voltage battery, breaks the left controller, and causes HVAC malfunction. Tesla should stop offering the retrofit.
I'm fighting with the service center to revive the retrofit and get my money back.
Yeah sounds like it sucks. Definitely holding off myself.

That being said, a Tesla forum is the last place I would expect “Chinese” to be used as an epithet. I guess casual sinophobia is popular these days, but we all know the good quality of the cars that come out of Tesla Shanghai.

Yeah sounds like it sucks. Definitely holding off myself.

That being said, a Tesla forum is the last place I would expect “Chinese” to be used as an epithet. I guess casual sinophobia is popular these days, but we all know the good quality of the cars that come out of Tesla Shanghai.
The Term Chinese was used here because the retrofit was first offered in China based on the fact that the kit itself is a Chinese product as in "Made In China." No other intention was attempted by the use of the term Chinese.

Reactions: shellac
i would love to get my money back from retrofit and go back to manual trunk ..or at min have SC acknowledge there is a hardware problem / attempt to replace component (s).
Disappointing for a "factory" retrofit

I've been experiencing this issue on my Model 3 with the trunk retrofit as well. It has been going on for about a month. I took it to service and they told me that it is a software issue that will be fixed over time.

Just now disconnected the 2 wire trunk canbus connector (which was super easy) and this seems to have resolved the issue for me too. It was driving me nuts!

I’m referencing a post I recently made about the powered trunk retrofit causing another issue - in my case an intermittent fault with the HVAC system. I’m wondering if the underlying cause of the OP’s problem with the car staying awake could be the same as my HVAC system fault.
Model 3 powered trunk retrofit causing intermittent cabin climate control system failure

I've been experiencing this issue on my Model 3 with the trunk retrofit as well. It has been going on for about a month. I took it to service and they told me that it is a software issue that will be fixed over time.

Just now disconnected the 2 wire trunk canbus connector (which was super easy) and this seems to have resolved the issue for me too. It was driving me nuts!
Any tracks? I found the connector but its super hard to disconnect it, so hard so rigid

Any tracks? I found the connector but its super hard to disconnect it, so hard so rigid
In my case there was a large connector seen first after removing panel, then forward of it there is another large connector with the smaller connector clearly seen coming off of it.
If you have not disconnected these type of connectors when you press or lift (I can’t recall now which) on the right part of tab they disconnect easily, if not they will not let go until you possibly break them or break a wire so be careful.

I’m dealing with the same issues. I’m still under warranty until June but I’m 3 appointments in at my SC with no resolution. What did the engineers say?