Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont love the look of the button in that post you shared, either. I have already paid for this, and it wont stop me from going through with the purchase, but my opinion (for what its worth, which admittedly isnt much) is the same one that @Durzel
Still, The look isnt great, I agree, but the functionality is there, and I am the only one who will see that button, really, so its not that big of a deal..... right? ( 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 ) (<----- obviously trying to convince myself).

I'm sure there's a lot more uglier things in trunks than that button lol. Small price to pay for perfect integration and functionality. :). The cost is right too.

The problem is that Tesla is advertising a very clean and OEM look on the product page when the actual installed product is not that clean and OEM.
I didn't even look at the product page before I bought it, but it's literally the only thing it shows! I don't mind the way it looks since I will probably look at it once and then never again in any great detail.

Reactions: Silver_Bullet
It’s not even available in the UK yet (ever?) and I’m lowkey lusting after it…

If/when it happens I’m going to ask or try and source the 2021-on trunk trim with the button in situ and ask them if they can use that. They might simply say no because they’ll have a workflow to follow. The wiring or connectors might not even be the same.

All things considered though - although I’ve had no issues with my EVOffer trunk kit, and it closes more nicely that the OEM (closes more gently), and I’ve got a foot sensor which has been very useful, I have had some quirks with it - namely that sometimes when I wake my car up the trunk opens 😂 … the EVOffer kit doesn’t like being connected to the penthouse 12v it seems. Also it’s a parasitic drain on the 12v, has no warranty, etc.

Tesla just moved my appointment from Monday to Thursday midday without a note as to why. The drop off time leads me to believe I’ll be leaving the car overnight now :(

Edit to add: I’m aware that the reschedule is likely due to a delay in parts or something, but no contact ahead of time and a randomly chosen appointment time is rough.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Tesla just moved my appointment from Monday to Thursday midday without a note as to why. The drop off time leads me to believe I’ll be leaving the car overnight now :(

I was wondering if your appointment was going to get rescheduled like mine was. Its a bit interesting to me, since we are not in the same state, and were both early purchasers of this retrofit, yet both rescheduled. This leads me to think one of two things are true (or maybe both).

1. Tesla released this on their webpage to order, before the retrofit kit was actually produced in volume
2. Tesla needs to get installation / Training material to their service centers on how exactly to perform this retrofit

In any case, thanks for updating.

I was wondering if your appointment was going to get rescheduled like mine was. Its a bit interesting to me, since we are not in the same state, and were both early purchasers of this retrofit, yet both rescheduled. This leads me to think one of two things are true (or maybe both).

1. Tesla released this on their webpage to order, before the retrofit kit was actually produced in volume
2. Tesla needs to get installation / Training material to their service centers on how exactly to perform this retrofit

In any case, thanks for updating.
They just replied to my question about the reschedule and indicated that parts weren’t going to be arriving at the service center until sometime on Monday (day of appointment) so the system automatically moved it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
They just replied to my question about the reschedule and indicated that parts weren’t going to be arriving at the service center until sometime on Monday (day of appointment) so the system automatically moved it.
I don't know if this changed or applies to retrofits, but Tesla used to send a separate notice via email on the parts status, so you know if the part is arriving on time or late. In my experience, they typically automatically push back the appointment if the part is arriving late, as I mentioned up thread.

My local service center just called me and sent me a text message in the app telling me:
=========================
"The retrofit is currently needs a revision for cars that are pre 2019, so we have unscheduled your appointment. If you want to wait for the revision, thats fantastic, if not, let us know and we will assist you with getting a refund".

I am not into loaning money to Tesla for an indeterminate amount of time, waiting for a revision, so I am asking them for a refund. If it becomes available for 2018 model Year vehicles, I will re vist it then. Bummer.

My local service center just called me and sent me a text message in the app telling me:
"The retrofit is currently needs a revision for cars that are pre 2019, so we have unscheduled your appointment. If you want to wait for the revision, thats fantastic, if not, let us know and we will assist you with getting a refund".

I am not into loaning money to Tesla for an indeterminate amount of time, waiting for a revision, so I am asking them for a refund. If it becomes available for 2018 model Year vehicles, I will re vist it then. Bummer.
Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out as I also have a 2018. That's a bummer.

Got told that my 2018 model 3 needs to have a different retrofit. So I have to wait until that come out.

Thanks for posting. I was starting to wonder if someone at my Local SC was mis informed or something. I knew I couldnt be the only one with a 2018 Model 3 who purchased this and is a member here.

I appreciate the confirmation, not that I wanted anyone else to be told "no" or something.. just, its confirmation that what they told me they are telling others.

What manufacture date are your cars?

Mine is "born on" date 11/15/2018. I bought it 12/4/2018. For anyone wondering where I got the actual date the car was reported to be made, Tesla has a born on date in their system for the vehicles. I dont work for Tesla or anything, I just knew they had this information when I bought my car, asked for it, and my salesperson gave it to me, so I filed it away.