Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerflow on App no longer working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I was hoping someone can help me. Yesterday after a brief internet outage the powerflow area on my app became grayed out not showing solar production, battery flow, home energy usage, and how much is being taken off the grid. In addition my powerwalls on the app are staying at 100 percent, not using the energy flow to take my house off the grid. I've reset my internet, unplugged my gateway, and shut down my entire system from the breakers and each device separately. Does anyone have any advice. it's been like this for about 24 hours.

Hi - I was hoping someone can help me. Yesterday after a brief internet outage the powerflow area on my app became grayed out not showing solar production, battery flow, home energy usage, and how much is being taken off the grid. In addition my powerwalls on the app are staying at 100 percent, not using the energy flow to take my house off the grid. I've reset my internet, unplugged my gateway, and shut down my entire system from the breakers and each device separately. Does anyone have any advice. it's been like this for about 24 hours.

Just thinking out loud: have you tried logging in to your Powerwall locally? It's possible it is not online which is causing your app issues. Try logging in via your local network and see if there is a "Start Powerwall" option.

When it loaded 1.39.2 recently I needed to logon locally and reconnect the gateway to my wifi. Note that that resulted it a new IP address on my WiFi network. Which is weird because past gateway upgrades haven’t changed the address.

The two events may or may not have been connected as I’ve been on 1.39.2 for several days but I did need to logon locally to get back on WiFi and see what the new IP was.

I’ve had to reconnect to wifi in the past but this is the first time the gateway lost the dhcp memory of the IP address.

Also I have never had the ‘start powerwall’ option. It just needs to be connected to Tesla.

Note that one of the benefits of 1.39.2 is that when you connect the network and test it it also tells you that it’s connected to Tesla as it verifies the network connection.

Just thinking out loud: have you tried logging in to your Powerwall locally? It's possible it is not online which is causing your app issues. Try logging in via your local network and see if there is a "Start Powerwall" option.

How do I log on locally? I have the Ethernet cable on the gateway and the Ethernet cable from the solar/power wall system

I'm having the same issue with the Tesla app. 1.39.2 powerwall firmware too. My powerwall gateway is also chiming quite a bit and I'm not sure why. I also no longer see its SSID being broadcasted nor do I see it connected to my WIFI.

I'm having the same issue with the Tesla app. 1.39.2 powerwall firmware too. My powerwall gateway is also chiming quite a bit and I'm not sure why. I also no longer see its SSID being broadcasted nor do I see it connected to my WIFI.
oh, all I needed to do was push the reset button on the gateway and that fixed it up. phew

The earliest gateways didn't have a reset button but later ones do. On the gateways they were installing last year, there's no obvious button. It's just a hole that you can stick something small in to push the button hidden behind the metal cover.

Looks like mine is one of the original ones as I had my two Powerwalls installed back in 2017 September (see attached). I guess I have to power down the two Powerwalls, turn off my PV and then take my house off the grid to reboot the gateway... That's gonna suck!

I encountered the same thing, but I also couldn't connect to my vehicles either. There was a 4-hour outage with the Tesla app (and API) so I assume this was related to that.

I thought so as well, but once the Tesla NOC was restored and I had access to my Model S and Model X, the Powerwall energy flow was not showing the flow of energy. PV to the House appears to be working, but nothing else appears to show any sort of flow (e, grid to anything, and Powerwall to anything) - See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3508.JPG
    IMG_3508.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_835BD80FA421-1.jpeg
    IMG_835BD80FA421-1.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 187
I guess I have to power down the two Powerwalls, turn off my PV and then take my house off the grid to reboot the gateway... That's gonna suck!

I would suggest calling PW Support before doing that. Since your App is getting data, it means your GW is connected and they should be able to look at it. There's no guarantee if you do a full shutdown this will get fixed, if the problem is in the 1.39.2 version or something else...

Looks like mine is one of the original ones as I had my two Powerwalls installed back in 2017 September (see attached). I guess I have to power down the two Powerwalls, turn off my PV and then take my house off the grid to reboot the gateway... That's gonna suck!

I thought so as well, but once the Tesla NOC was restored and I had access to my Model S and Model X, the Powerwall energy flow was not showing the flow of energy. PV to the House appears to be working, but nothing else appears to show any sort of flow (e, grid to anything, and Powerwall to anything) - See attached.
My Power Flow is working but I've been seeing some odd behavior with my Powerwalls since Saturday. I'm still on 1.37.1, which I've had since May. I'm going to try the reset button this evening to see if it fixes my Powerwall issue. If the reset button doesn't work, I'll have to try manually turning everything off as well.

My Power Flow is working but I've been seeing some odd behavior with my Powerwalls since Saturday. I'm still on 1.37.1, which I've had since May. I'm going to try the reset button this evening to see if it fixes my Powerwall issue. If the reset button doesn't work, I'll have to try manually turning everything off as well.

I tried pushing the reset button on my gateway last night but couldn't feel any give. It's hard to see what you're trying to push since you just have a small circular opening. I can see some flashing LEDs and don't want to push hard and potentially slip and hit some delicate circuitry. I'll try powering everything off tonight to see if that fixes my issue.

There is a reset button? I must have missed that. Where is it?
Ah ya, I have a little circle cut out to the left of the bottom diagram sticker in your gateway photo. It's labeled "RESET". As mentioned by MorrisonHiker, it's a dodgy looking, deep dark hole. I found something non-conductive and pressed the button. After twenty seconds or so there's some lovely chimes and shortly after that the built-in hotspot popped up and I saw it also join my home WIFI.

Ah ya, I have a little circle cut out to the left of the bottom diagram sticker in your gateway photo. It's labeled "RESET". As mentioned by MorrisonHiker, it's a dodgy looking, deep dark hole. I found something non-conductive and pressed the button. After twenty seconds or so there's some lovely chimes and shortly after that the built-in hotspot popped up and I saw it also join my home WIFI.
Thanks for the additional info. I'll try holding it in longer. Did you feel the button actually move at all when you pushed it?

I used a chopstick last night and was able to push the button and feel it move. I noticed the lights went off as I was holding the button. I didn't hear any chimes so I tried it again for a minute. Still no chimes, so I'm guessing that's a new feature. I went into the garage and saw the Powerwalls were all rebooting, so I guess it worked. Hopefully it fixed my Powerwall issue. I'll know in another hour or two...