Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Powertrain Problem"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nick

May 22, 2012
Sadly my Roadster had to be picked up by a tow truck (again) today...

powertrain_problem.jpg

Hopefully Tesla will be able to look at it tomorrow.

Sigh :crying:

What an odd wording of a message, "Restart when safe". What do they mean here, that its not safe at the moment meaning something is going to blow? And how do you know when its safe?
Agreed, and "restarting" the car didn't help - it was dead.

It also looks like your trunk release button is stuck in on the left most side.
Just noticed that - Tesla had to pull the dashboard the last time it was towed in (low power distribution module died)... guessing the reassembly wasn't perfect.

I'm wondering if the "Restart" they're talking about is shutting down the entire system and bringing it back up again since the key "restart" didn't do anything. The hard "restart" I presume would be shutting down the APS via diagnostics which would cut power 100% to the PEM, waiting a minute or two, then bringing it back online again.

Oh, that's kind of a scary message. I know how much I freaked out when mine recently died on me (in the middle of the road, no less).

Spent a week biting my nails and pulling my hair out, waiting for Tesla Service Center to get back to me on how much it was going to cost to get it back on the road again.

Message should read - "$$$ Powertrain Problem - Restart When Safe $$$"

Powertrain Failure

Yep! Tesla called a short while ago and confirmed it is the motor encoder module.

No indication on cost to replace it yet.

Yup, I saw the same thing about 3 weeks ago. I restarted, drove about 100 feet before it quit again. Multiple attempts to restart failed. Tesla sent a flatbed, and when he got there, I got it going long enough to back out of the parking spot I had managed to glide into. They replaced a couple of components. Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty. I might have to purchase another 3 years!

David

Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty. I might have to purchase another 3 years!
Extending the warranty would have been great. Unfortunately no option to extend beyond the original 4 years.

Over its life so far this car has been averaging getting serviced about every 6 weeks.

I was once driving to the service center with 3 problems... 4 problems by the time I got there.

My record is five separate service visits in one month last year, each for unrelated problems. One of those required a tow truck and a multi-thousand dollar bill due to a failed electronic module.

No racing - car is used to commute to work each day.