Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall 2 for time of use applicaiton

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Utilities that charge a per kW of installed solar are going to drive people away from feeding the grid, particularly where net metering is resulting in someone getting paid 3 cents/kWh while the energy is flowing to their neighbor's house where they are getting charged 15 cents/kWh.

When the PowerWall is able to be used for intelligent load control and peak shaving I'm in. I live where peak summer demand is almost entirely air conditioning and I need a system that will drive peak demand to zero, use solar to pre-cool the house and find a source other than the grid to dump excess power produced.

I won't be off-grid but I'll only be consuming a minimum of high cost power and primarily using solar to pre-cool and battery to carry me through to non-peak evening hours.

so that means he had to rewire in order to have at least one outlet in each room connected to solar. You can't do that by removing certain circuits from the existing service entrance panel because all outlets in a room (sometimes two or more rooms) are normally daisy chained on the same circuit.
I don't know the specifics of his installation. Swinging a conduit to a critical load panel is a lot simpler than pulling new wires. In my home there were two circuits in each conduit, with a shared neutral. They were a long run through multiple junction boxes making for a labor intensive wire pulling exercise. In his case they may have been shorter runs and that is where his trade off was. I am not disagreeing with what you said but just adding info for more clarity.

Last edited:
I know this thread is pretty old, but did you come to a solution here @Grifon ? I live in Alabama, and I'm looking into Solar Panels and a Tesla Powerwall.
Hi, I wound up canceling my reservation. I didn’t think I could make it pay for itself in any kind of reasonable time frame. Since then we have lived through multiple yearly power outages (4-12 hours) and one really bad 5 day outage about a year ago. May reconsider a Powerwall if we ever have knowledgable installers in the area and Tesla starts selling them al a carte once again.

If you proceed, I’m sure lots of people in the state would be interested in your progress.